This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A delicious finger food or afternoon snack, Baked Egg Rolls are a favorite Asian food. This crispy egg roll recipe is a healthier version than its fried egg roll counterpart as it is oven-baked. Incredibly easy to make, these egg rolls use a store-bought coleslaw mix and egg roll wrappers. The dipping sauce is also easy to make with ingredients you likely already have on hand.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Egg Rolls, a popular snack and street food, are found in various varieties in most Asian cultures. As are their lighter cousin, the spring roll.
Curious about its origins? Foodtimeline.org reports that egg rolls “date back to ancient China.” Their popularity in the United States is likely due to early Chinese settlers making these tasty treats as early as the mid-1800s.
In case you were wondering about the difference between egg rolls and spring rolls? It’s all in the wrapper. Egg rolls are made using a dough-like “egg” wrapper and spring rolls are made using a rice paper wrapper. Often the fillings of both are a meat and vegetable mix while noodles are added to spring rolls.
For the Egg Rolls
- Ground turkey, or your favorite ground meat like chicken or pork
- Store bought coleslaw, I prefer one with carrots
- Soy Sauce
- Grated fresh ginger
- Five-spice powder
- Sliced scallions
- Garlic cloves
- Egg roll wrappers
- Cooking oil, for brushing the egg rolls before baking
For the Dipping Sauce
This simple dipping sauce adds delicious flavor to the baked egg rolls. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Soy sauce, I prefer reduced sodium
- Vinegar, white or apple cider vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Fresh ginger, grated
- Garlic cloves
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Sesame oil
Frequently Asked Questions
Freeze cooled egg rolls in a freezer container, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, reheat rolls on a baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven until crisp and heated through.
If you’re after something a little easier, serve these egg rolls with sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
A few more recipes you might enjoy!
- Steamed Chinese Pork Dumplings Recipe
- Easy Chinese Pork Dumpling Soup Recipe with Frozen Dumplings
- Chinese Spicy Chicken and Eggplant in Garlic Sauce
- Spicy Coconut Milk Curry Noodle Soup with Shrimp
- Yakisoba with Pork and Cabbage
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Healthy Baked Egg Rolls with Ginger Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 cups coleslaw mix with carrots
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce reduced sodium
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Five Spice powder
- 4 scallions, sliced diagonally, about 1/2 cup
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- oil for brushing wrappers
Ginger Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce reduced sodium
- 3 tablespoons vinegar white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, cook turkey over medium-high heat until it is no longer pink. Drain any excess moisture.
- Stir remaining ingredients into the turkey: coleslaw mix, soy sauce, grated ginger, five-spice powder, scallions, and garlic. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the coleslaw mix is wilted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spoon 1/4 cup filling on the bottom third of an egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward the center and roll tightly. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Place seam-side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat.
- Brush oil over rolled egg rolls before baking.
- Bake in a 425-degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking all the while until it thickens. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.