Mini Lemon Pudding Cakes are a refreshing, melt-in-your-mouth, lemony dream. Simple and quick to make, this dessert magically forms two layers when baked. A light and airy cake on top with a lemon pudding custard on the bottom.
When inverted, dusted with confectioners’ sugar and topped with blueberries, it’s a beautiful dessert worthy for any occasion.
All I can say is, “Oh, my!”
You might like: How to Serve an Easy Afternoon Tea
Items You’ll Need
Two mixing bowls, a whisk, a spatula, a 9×13 inch baking pan, an electric mixer, a zester, and either six (6-ounce) ramekins or an 8-inch baking dish.
Recommended Kitchen Tools
These Lemon Pudding Cakes are made in individual ramekins. But if you don’t have any, you can bake the batter in an 8-inch baking dish. The cooking time is about the same.
Ingredients for Lemon Pudding Cakes
These simple ingredients will turn into the most delicious pudding cake ever.
3 large eggs, 1 cup milk, and 2 tablespoons of butter.
1 large lemon that will be juiced and zested.
All-purpose flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt
How to Make Lemon Pudding Cakes
Spray six (6-oz) ramekins with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
You will need two bowls to make the lemon pudding cakes. Separate the eggs and place the yolks in one bowl and the whites in the others.
In the bowl with the yolks, whisk together the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, and the salt. Then whisk in the flour and sugar; stir until smooth.
Using an electric mixer, or whisking vigorously, beat the egg whites in the second bowl, until soft peaks form.
Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture, a little at a time. The batter will be light and airy.
Place the prepared ramekins in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Then ladle or pour the batter, evenly, into the ramekins, which will come nearly to the top. Then fill the baking pan with water to 1/2 up the sides of the ramekins. This water bath will allow the custardy pudding to form on the bottom.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.
Once baked, carefully remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool for a few minutes. Once slightly cooled, carefully inverted the pudding cups onto a plate, dust with confectioners’ sugar and served with fresh berries if desired.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup fat-free half and half, or milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, about 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set a rack in the middle position. Spray six (6-oz) ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, half and half, lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, and salt. Add the flour and sugar and whisk until smooth.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. With a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture a little at a time until all of the eggs whites have been added and the batter is light and fluffy.
- Place the prepared ramekins into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Evenly pour or ladle the batter into the ramekins. The batter will fill most of the ramekin. Using a teapot or pitcher, add water to the 13x9 inch baking pan half-way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.
- Once baked, carefully remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool for a few minutes. Once slightly cooled, carefully inverted the pudding cups onto a plate, dust with confectioners’ sugar and served with fresh berries if desired.
Make Ahead Tip:
These Lemon Pudding Cakes can be made up to a day in advance. Bake as directed and then cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Before serving, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, remove the plastic wrap and place on a baking sheet. Reheat the cakes for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 7g