On the first Saturday in May, thousands of fans gather at Churchill Downs to celebrate not only thoroughbred horses but Southern charm and culture too.
And countless thousands more who can’t be in Kentucky, celebrate virtually. I would be one of those thousands. Although I’ve been to Churchhill Downs, not during the Kentucky Derby. It’s on my bucket list.
A favorite excuse to throw a party, here are some ideas for traditional Derby fare.
Celebrating a Kentucky Derby Party Ideas
The Kentucky Hot Brown — Traditional serving from the original Brown Hotel
Kentucky Burgoo —
a slow cooked Derby traditional offering featuring a spicy blend of meat, potatoes, and vegetables.
Kentucky Derby @31Daily
- Kentucky Derby Menu Ideas
- Kentucky Derby Tradition: Burgoo
- Authentic Kentucky Hot Brown
- Celebrating a Kentucky Derby Party
- Kentucky Derby Bars
- A Non-Alcoholic Mint Julep Everyone Can Enjoy at the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Kentucky Derby Recipes with Southern Charm
Image Source: Paula Deen Magazine