This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This quick and easy Orecchiette Pasta recipe is made with delicious sausage, savory mushrooms, broccolini, and jarred marinara sauce. Packed with tremendous flavor, it’s wonderful for quick, easy, and filling pasta dinners.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Simple pasta dishes are easy to make for weeknight cooking or Sunday gatherings. Rather perfect for Friday nights too. Plus, they provide ample servings and delicious flavors and are often, easy recipes to make.
Some of my family favorites are a One Pot Pasta with Ground Beef and Broccoli for weeknight cooking that makes wonderful leftovers. Or this 4 Ingredient One Pot Tortellini Skillet is a new quick and easy favorite I picked up from my college-age son, a lover of food but not necessarily cooking!
Sausages and Market Inspiration
One of my favorite grocers is Zupans’s Markets in Portland, Oregon, where I love to shop when I’m in town. This recipe takes inspiration from them and their amazing house sausages.
While most of you are probably not in Portland, look for quality sausage with ample flavor. I’m using a sun-dried tomato and basil sausage. but use your favorite variety.
Ingredients for Orecchiette Pasta
This is a list of ingredients needed for this pasta with sausage recipe that is simple to make and so incredibly delicious. The exact measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Red chili flakes
- Olive oil
- Sausages (I like sun-dried tomato and basil but use your favorite sausage variety)
- Sliced mushrooms
- Shallots or green onions
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Jarred marinara sauce
- Cooked Orecchiette pasta
Notes on Ingredients
Sausages: I love to use a house sausage when available. A sun-dried tomato and basil sausage is incredible, but a quality mild Italian sausage is equally delicious.
Mushrooms: Cremini mushrooms are my favorites in this dish, but again, use your favorite variety. Portabella mushrooms are delicious when chopped smaller.
Broccolini: This is a delicious vegetable to add to this pasta but broccoli florets could also be used. Although broccoli rabe is my favorite substitution. If you can’t find that in your market, mustard greens are an excellent adaptation.
Pasta: While orecchiette pasta is my favorite, you could also substitute conchiglie, penne, farfalle, or even shell pasta.
How to Make Orecchiette Pasta with Sausage and Broccolini
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Step 1: Brown the Sausages
In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat add the chili flakes and toast for several seconds. Then add olive oil and increase heat to medium-high. Add the whole sausages and brown, turning to allow evening browning, for 4-5 minutes.
Step 2: Saute the Mushrooms
Remove the sausages from the skillet and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add shallots, garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Step 3: Toss the Ingredients
Toss in the broccolini and stir. Then add the cooked pasta and ½ the marinara, (1 jar) toss very well. Finally, add the remaining marinara and toss lightly before placing the sausages back onto the skillet; cover with a lid.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for 15 minutes. Then garnish with additional olive oil, fresh parsley, oregano, and Parmesan cheese. Serve family-style or plate up for individual portions.
How Cook the Pasta
Follow the package instructions for cooking the pasta on the stovetop. Or, you can cook it in a 6-quart Instant Pot by adding 1 lb pasta, water to cover (about 3 1/2 cups), and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and then quickly release the pressure. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
More Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 1/2 tablespoon chili flake,
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 sun-dried tomato and basil sausages or other favorite sausage variety
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 shallots, finely minced (or green onions)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed and chopped
- 2 jars (24oz) marinara sauce
- 1 pound dried Orecchiette pasta, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat add the chili flakes and toast for several seconds. Then add olive oil and increase heat to medium-high. Add the whole sausages and brown, turning to allow evening browning, for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the skillet and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper, and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add shallots, garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped broccolini and stir. Then add the cooked pasta and ½ the marinara, (1 jar) toss very well. Finally, add the remaining marinara and toss lightly before placing the sausages back onto the skillet; cover with a lid.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with additional olive oil, fresh parsley, oregano, and Parmesan cheese. Serve family-style or plate up for individual portions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 578mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g