This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It’s the baking season, and this Sugar Cookie Recipe is a favorite. It’s simple, delicious, and a go-to recipe with dough that delivers beautifully shaped cookies. Every time.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Regardless of which season or shape you’re baking for, this sugar cookie recipe is simply the best I’ve ever made.
And when the holiday season comes around, there isn’t a more quintessential Christmas cookie than cutout sugar cookies.
I use this same recipe for all the cutouts seasons: fall pumpkin cookie cutouts, turkey cutouts, snowflakes, Santas, and trees… and all things Christmas. Only to make it again for Valentine’s Day in the shape of hearts, and St. Patrick’s Day shamrocks, and Easter bunnies.
Well, you get the idea. I make them all year long.
There’s always a season for shaped sugar cookies!
And this recipe is the one I come back to every season. It just works. And it tastes really good.
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
For the exact measurements, see the recipe card below, but here’s all you need to make these simple cookies:
- Butter, softened to room temperature
- Granulated sugar: see note below on using brown sugar
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Salt: I prefer fine sea salt, but use what you have.
Sugar in these Sugar Cookie Cutouts
I’ve written the recipe using granulated sugar. However… I love to substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar when I can. The flavor is rich and a little unexpected. But, it does yield a darker-hued dough… which doesn’t work with all shapes and seasons.
The dough doubles easily, which I do often.
More Cookie Recipes You Would Love!
- Giant and Soft Ginger Spice Cookies
- Most Requested Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peppermint Mocha Blossom Cookies
- Simple Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- A Sweet Iconic Snickerdoodle Recipe
- Vanilla Tea Cookies
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Favorite Sugar Cookie Cutouts Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla; beat to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and combine. Continue to beat until the dough comes together, pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out on a floured surface to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate cut-out cookies on the baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cold.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Bake cookies for 9 to 10 minutes, or until set and light brown around the edges. Let sit on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.