Easy Broccoli Quiche with Tomatoes is a creamy, delicious quiche perfect for breakfast, lunch, brunch or afternoon tea.
Much like our Bacon, Cheese and Spinach Quiche, this quiche is equally delicious, packed with vegetables, and super easy to make with a store-bought pastry crust.
How to Make This Broccoli Quiche
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil — just to keep the oven clean.
Lay a store-bought pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges. Or, you can use a frozen pie crust and skip that step.
Begin by melting a bit of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add some minced onion and garlic, along with about 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets. Cook until the broccoli is slightly crisp-tender and set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, and a tiny amount of cayenne. I’m not a huge spicy fan. That being said, the 1/8 teaspoon called for in the recipe is the perfect amount for me. Increase it if you’d like.
Layering the Broccoli Quiche
This is an important step. In order to distribute the vegetables throughout the custard, layer it this way before baking:
- First, spread the broccoli, onion, garlic mixture over the bottom of the crust.
- Then top with the cherry tomatoes.
- Next, spread the cheese over the top of the tomatoes.
- Finally, pour in the egg mixture.
Can you Use Frozen Broccoli?
Yes. Fresh or frozen broccoli works equally well. But the pre-cooking differs slightly. Be sure to consult the “notes” section of the recipe below.
One more note — make sure to cut the broccoli florets into 1-inch or so size pieces.
Can Broccoli Quiche Be Made Ahead?
Broccoli Quiche is easily made ahead. Bake as directed and then cool completely before covering refrigerating.
To reheat, cover the quiche with foil and bake at 325F (until just heated).
- store-bought pie crust
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets (*see notes)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, asiago, etc.)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 9-inch pie plate with a store-bought pie crust and crimp the edges. A frozen crust works fine too.
- See the notes section on broccoli.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the minced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft; about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, minced garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. (See notes on using fresh or frozen broccoli). Increase the heat to medium and cook until the broccoli is fork-tender and any liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Set aside.
- In the bottom of the crust, add the cooked onion, garlic, and broccoli mixture (save a few broccoli florets to garnish the top of the quiche if you would like). Add the halved cherry tomatoes and sprinkle the shredded cheese and parmesan cheese over the top. Pour in the egg mixture and garnish with a few florets and tomatoes.
- Bake 15 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees. Without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 325° and continue to bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- I have used both fresh broccoli and frozen broccoli in this recipe. If using fresh broccoli, add a bit of water, about 1/3 cup, to the skillet so the broccoli can cook for a couple of minutes.
- If using frozen broccoli, do not add water, simply saute with the garlic for about a minute.
- Be sure the florets (whether fresh or frozen) are in small florets.
Once the quiche is baked, cool completely, cover, and refrigerate. To reheat, cover the quiche with foil and bake at 325F (until just heated).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 592mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g