This Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup is simply everything you love about cabbage rolls, without the work or time. It’s an easy, quick-cooking soup filled with the cabbage roll flavors and ingredients we love.
Although I love a delicious cabbage roll, any time of the year, in fact, sometimes crave them, I often don’t have the time to make them. It’s then that this unstuffed cabbage roll soup comes to mine. It’s hearty and filling… and satisfies that craving, in a fraction of the time.
A perfect, easy weeknight dinner with fresh bread and even salad greens.
Ingredients to Make Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
Gather these easy ingredients to make this quick-cooking soup:
I like to use lean ground beef, but ground turkey works too.
You’ll need an onion, garlic cloves, 4 cups of coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1/2 of a head), and 2 carrots.
The spices are easy and ones you most likely have on hand. You’ll need 1 bay leaf and some dried thyme, plus salt and pepper to taste.
Gather uncooked long-grain rice, beef or chicken stock, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, brown sugar, and fresh chopped parsley for garnish if desired.
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
To make this unstuffed cabbage roll soup, you will first brown the beef in a large soup pot. Once the beef is brown, add the onions and garlic to the pot and cook another 2 minutes.
Once cooked, all of the other ingredients are added to the soup pot; rice, cabbage, carrots, diced tomatoes, undrained, spices, and the liquid.
Bring the soup to a brief boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the rice and vegetables are soft and tender.
And then, you will have a hearty, delicious soup that will satisfy even the most active appetites.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this soup gets better and better as the flavors combine in the refrigerator!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups broth (beef or chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until the beef is browned; 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic; continue to cook for 2 minutes more.
- To the ground beef, add the cabbage, carrots, broth, tomatoes, rice, bay leaf, thyme, and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf; sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Swap the lean ground beef for ground turkey if preferred.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 28g
More Cabbage Recipes
I love cabbage and have made it so many ways throughout my cooking life. I find myself using it in everything from soups, to rolls, casseroles and salads. It’s just an ingredient that seems to go with almost anything. Here are some favorite ways to use cabbage.