Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is a gift to yourself on cold, frigid days or when you’re just craving a bowl of comfort.
There’s just something about soup. Almost like… magic… in a bowl. Or comfort… in a bowl.
We post a lot of soup recipes here. In fact, our Classic Ribollita: Tuscan Bean Soup is one of our most loved soup recipes.
And while I love to make soup in any form, there is something wonderful about a slow cooker soup.
If you’re a soup lover like me… we’re not alone. In fact, some highly auspicious people have loved it too.
A few notables have weighed in on the notion of soup…
- “Only the pure of heart can make good soup” — Beethoven
- “I live on good soup, not on fine words.” — Moliere
- “Soup puts the heart at ease, calms down the violence of hunger, eliminates the tension of the day, and awakens and refines the appetite.” — Auguste Escoffier
I agree, Mr. Escoffier, wholeheartedly.
In case you’re not familiar, “Georges Auguste Escoffier was a French chef, restaurateur and culinary writer who popularized and updated traditional French cooking methods.”
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
Protein: 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Vegetables: 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 1 onion, 4 garlic cloves, and 2 to 3 cups of baby kale leaves.
Herbs and Spices: 3 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, dried Italian seasoning, 1 bay leaf, and paprika.
Liquid: 4 cups of chicken broth
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Soup is one of my favorite recipes to make in a slow cooker. It’s just always delicious. And ready when I am.
On busy days, having a warm bowl of soup to come home to is incredibly wonderful.
In the base of the slow cooker, you will add the seasoned chicken breasts, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, fresh parsley, and bay leaf. Over the top, you’ll add 8 cups of liquid, 4 cups of water and 4 cups of chicken stock.
And yes… you can definitely add 8 cups of chicken stock instead.
The soup will cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, on high for 3 to 4. You’re simply looking for the vegetable to be soft and the chicken to be cooked.
During the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking time, you will remove the chicken breasts and add the wide noodles and baby kale leaves. Meanwhile, shred the chicken.
Once the noodles have cooked, add the shredded chicken back into the soup, stir in the lemon juice, warm through and serve!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs Italian parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles (about 4 cups)
- 2 to 3 cups baby kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley or dill, for garnish, optional
- Toss the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic together in the slow cooker. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Then add the sprigs of parsley, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and paprika. Pour in the chicken broth and water, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, remove the chicken breasts and stir in the noodles and kale.
- While the noodles are cooking, shred the chicken breasts. When the noodles are done, turn off the slow cooker, remove the parsley sprigs, add the shredded chicken and lemon juice. Taste and season as necessary with salt and pepper. Be generous. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g