Peanut Butter Granola Bars with Chocolate Chips — a healthy, energy-boosting, chewy and soft homemade granola bar that’s so much better than its store-bought cousin.
And will quickly become a family favorite.
It’s that time of the year again… when I’m thinking about granola, and brown bag lunches, and homemade, healthy snacks.
In my house… it almost always comes back to granola bars.
Similar to our favorite Peanut Butter Granola, but we added a few ingredients and formed it into bars.
Plus… we added chocolate chips. Because isn’t everything better with a little chocolate? I made our granola bars with regular size chocolate chips, because they were on hand… and, we love chocolate. But mini chocolate chips work just as well.
Peanut Butter is a great source of energy-boosting plant-based protein. And these Peanut Butter Granola Bars are a delicious way to enjoy it!
What’s Healthy About Peanut Butter and Oats?
Brierley Horton, MS, RD says, “Peanut butter mostly gets recognized for the fat, protein, and fiber content. While it gets a great grade for how it ranks in those departments, you should also know that peanut butter delivers other key nutrients like potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, vitamin E, and folate.”
Writing for Harvard Health, Dr. Walter C. Willett says, “Over the years, numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts.”
“Eating whole grain oats can prevent diabetes and lower cholesterol levels, which could prevent cardiovascular disease.” Some studies show that oats have anti-inflammatory effects “which could prevent inflammation related to chronic disease,” says Shengmin Sang, a professor of food science and human health at North Carolina A&T State University.
More Healthy Snack Recipes to Try:
- Breakfast Cookies
- Easy and Healthy Breakfast Granola
- Favorite Granola Recipe to Make Your Own
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Amish Baked Oatmeal
- Amish Baked Oatmeal with Apples
- Homemade Crackers: A Healthy Oat Cracker Recipe
- 3 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 13 x 9-inch or 9 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large bowl add the oats and chocolate chips; set aside.
- Into a glass measure or bowl, add the peanut butter and honey or maple syrup. Warm in the microwave for a few seconds; stir until creamy. Add the egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla; mix well until smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture, over the oats and chocolate chips. Stir until all of the oats and chocolate have been evenly coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and press firmly with a spatula or spoon until it’s in an even layer. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Leave the bars in the baking pan until completely cool. Cut into 20 squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 6gSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g