Double Chocolate Scones with Butter Vanilla Glaze
For the chocolate lover in your life, you’ll not want to miss these Chocolate Scones. Incredibly moist and chocolaty with just the right amount of sweet.
Perfect for an afternoon tea, Mother’s Day brunch… or simply when you’re craving something chocolate.
Happy sigh. They’re just so incredibly good. Made even more chocolaty with the addition of chocolate chips into the scone batter.
And, of course, finished with a butter glaze. And so, so good with a cup of tea… or coffee.
Double Chocolate Scone Ingredients
Here are the ingredients needed for both the scone and the glaze. Specific measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Unsalted butter
- Half and half or cream
- Large egg
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Double Chocolate Scones
Preheat oven to 425˚ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients of flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Then, in a small bowl whisk the half and half or cream, egg, and vanilla. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture, stirring only until the dry ingredients are moistened.
On a floured surface, shape the dough into a disc shape of ½-inch thickness. Cut into 10 to 12 wedges and transfer to the prepared baking pans.
Brush the tops with half and half and sprinkle additional chocolate chips.
Bake for 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes and glaze with Butter Vanilla Glaze.
More Scone Recipes You Will Love
- Buttermilk Strawberry Scones
- Raspberry Scones with Lemon Butter Glaze
- Traditional Irish Scones Recipe for Afternoon Tea
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- Afternoon Tea Scones Recipes
For the chocolate lover in your life, you'll not want to miss trying these Chocolate Scones. Incredibly moist and chocolaty with just the right amount of sweet.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon half and half, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Butter Vanilla Glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or 2 forks, until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup half and half, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture, stirring only until the dry ingredients are moistened; the dough will be sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a disc shape of ½-inch thickness. Slice into 10 to 12 wedges; place on the prepared pans. Brush the tops evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon half and half. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips over the top if desired.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes and glaze with Butter Vanilla Glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Butter Vanilla Glaze
- Combine the melted butter, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract. Add water as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Also add confectioners' sugar as needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 203mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g