An Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe that is fast, flavorful, and made from scratch. An easy, delicious Mexican soup recipe that’s healthy, hearty… and wonderful.
This easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is perfect for busy nights when dinner needs to be delicious, easy, and quick.
How about 14 minutes quick? That works for me — most nights!
If you love Mexican food, or soup of any kind, you’ll love this recipe. Plus, it’s easy to spice it up or down, depending on your preferences.
Easy Ingredients for this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love this soup for its flavor, but also for its simple ingredients, which I almost always have on hand.
You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts. Fresh or frozen, they will cook for the same amount of time. I prefer fresh boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Gather one can of black beans, fire-roasted, diced tomatoes (they bring the BEST flavor), a small 4-ounce can of diced chilis (swap for diced jalapenos if you prefer), and 4 cups of chicken stock.
These spices bring that delicious Mexican flavor: cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
One small onion, chopped, 3 garlic cloves, minced, and frozen corn (or canned if you prefer).
How to Make Tortilla Strips
I can’t imagine Tortilla Soup without the tortillas. And they are so simple to make.
Begin with 5 small corn tortillas and cut into 1/4-inch strips (I like to use my pizza cutter). Spread them out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and turn to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in a 375-degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Or until crispy.
In a pinch — you can also use store-bought tortilla chips.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup is so easy in the pressure cooker. Begin by sauteing the chopped onion for a few minutes until it softens. Then add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
Then, turn off the Instant Pot and add the remaining ingredients into the bowl. Set the lid and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.”
Cook for 14 minutes on High Pressure whether you’re using fresh or frozen chicken. Once cooked, quickly release the pressure and remove the lid.
Switch to the saute function, and stir in the frozen corn and freshly squeezed lime juice. Let it cook a couple of seconds until the corn is warmed through.
That’s it — ladle into bowls and add your favorite toppings!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Toppings
The toppings make this soup. It spices it up or tones it down.
My favorite toppings include:
Fresh cilantro or oregano
Red Pepper Flakes
More Recipes You Might Like
Easy Instant Pot Turkey Burrito Bowl Recipe
Instant Pot Mexican Rice with Corn and Black Beans
A Classic Ribollita: Tuscan Bean Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Longevity Ikarian Stew
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup with Kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.5 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounce can, green chilies
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (4 to 6 thighs)
- 14.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or canned)
- juice from 1–2 limes
- Using the saute function on the pressure cooker, cook the chopped onions for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent and softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Cancel the saute function on the Instant Pot.
- Add the diced tomato, green chilies, chicken thighs (whole), black beans, chicken stock, water, salt, cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Stir and then set the Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure and cook for 14 minutes. Once cooked, quickly release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Shred the chicken thighs with two forks and add the corn. Switch to the saute function and cook until the corn has warmed through (canned or frozen). Squeeze the lime juice into the tortilla soup, taste, and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
- Ladle into bowls and add your favorite toppings. Topping ideas are below And remember -- the toppings make the soup!
- Tortilla Strips
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh cilantro or oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salsa Verde
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 111.3mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 23.6gFiber: 9gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g