This quick and easy No Knead Whole Wheat Bread is a delicious loaf I make often. With a moist and tender crumb sweetened with honey, it’s my go-to, no-knead Dutch oven bread recipe!
While no-knead bread recipes can take up to 14 hours to make, this loaf is made in less than half that time.
And time is always precious.
What I Love About This No Knead Whole Wheat Bread
- It’s a delicious 100% whole-grain bread
- Requires only a few ingredients
- Fun to make with very little work
- I get to use my favorite tool, the Danish Dough Hook
- The rounded country loaf shape is perfect for cozy meals
My Favorite Bread Tool
Besides my stand mixer, which you don’t need for no-knead bread, my second favorite tool is the Danish Dough Hook. A recent find, I’ve fallen in love with this inexpensive odd tool.
It quickly and thoroughly mixes dough, bread, or otherwise. Almost like magic, with a few turns, it incorporates the ingredients into a shaggy dough, with almost no effort.
You can find them in most home goods stores. I purchased mine at Amazon. They come in varying sizes.
No Knead Whole Wheat Bread Ingredients
This simple list of ingredients will make the most delicious whole-wheat bread. The exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Whole wheat flour: I like stone-ground, and white whole wheat works great too).
- Oats: Rolled old-fashioned oats are most often stocked in my pantry, so it’s the most common oats I use when making this recipe. But I also enjoy using steal-cut oats and even Scottish oats too.
- Salt: I prefer sea salt for flavor, but table salt is fine too.
- Quick or Instant Rise Yeast: If using active dry yeast, dissolve it in 1/2 cup of the warm water below, along with the honey.
- Honey: for flavor and to activate the yeast
- Warm water: How warm should the water be? Fleischmann’s Yeast says, “100°–110°F is the ideal temperature for Active Dry Yeast. 120°–130°F is the ideal temperature for RapidRise and Bread Machine Yeast.”
Kitchen Tools I Use to Make No Knead Bread
The following affiliate links are to products at Amazon which may result in a small referral credit to us.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Danish Dough Hook
- Pastry Mat
- Dutch Oven
- Parchment Paper
- Chicago Bread Cutting Knife
How to Make Quick No Knead Whole Wheat Bread
Step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below, but here is a quick overview with images.
- Whisk together the raw ingredients. Add water and honey until the dough is combined into a shaggy dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until covered with bubbles; about 4 hours.
- Using a fork, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, deflate the dough and fold it over onto itself twice. The dough will still be a little sticky. Shape the dough into a domed circle and place it in a parchment-lined oven-proof Dutch Oven. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap, cover with the lid, and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid and bake for 15 to 30 minutes or until the loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.
Other Bread Recipes You Might Like
- Irish Soda Bread with Buttermilk and Raisins
- Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread (So delicious!)
- Simple Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
- Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread
- Homemade Pizza Dough
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package quick-rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Whisk together the flour, oats, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add water and honey, stirring with a wooden spoon or Danish Dough Hook, until the ingredients are combined. The dough will be very sticky. Cover with plastic wrap; let the dough rise in a warm place until covered with bubbles, about 2 hours.
- Using a fork, turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, deflate the dough and fold it over onto itself twice. The dough will still be a little sticky. Shape the dough into a rectangle if making in a loaf pan. If making a round country loaf, shape it into a domed circle. Place the dough into a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan or a parchment-lined oven-proof Dutch Oven. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove plastic wrap; cover with the lid and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to bake another 10 to 30 minutes, or until beautifully browned. Remove bread from the pan and let cool completely before slicing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g