A rustic, artisan slow cooker whole wheat bread with honey recipe that is a perfect accompaniment to soup, stew, or simply toasted with butter and homemade strawberry jam.
There is nothing more “homey,” wholesome and comforting than homemade bread. But it takes time. And worthwhile effort. This recipe combines all of the hearty goodness of a homemade loaf and takes away the fuss and effort.
This recipe is super easy to make by hand with a bowl and a wooden spoon — or even easier with a stand mixer.
It’s not like a traditional loaf, the texture of the dough is very slightly sticky but the finished result is a crusty outer crust and a moist and tender crumb. It’s an easy recipe I come back to time and time again.
While the bread does not “brown” in the slow cooker, a quick 5-minutes under the broiler yields a beautiful golden crispy crust.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the flours, yeast, and salt. Then add the olive oil, honey, and lukewarm water. Mix on low speed or by hand until the dough comes together and begins to pull away from the bowl.
- Knead the bread dough for 6 to 8 minutes or until the dough is less sticky. This can be done by hand on a floured surface or in the stand mixer. This dough should be soft, but firm enough to knead. If the dough is too sticky or soft, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too dry, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Set the dough in the middle of a piece of parchment paper large enough to line the slow cooker. Then place the parchment paper with the dough in the slow cooker.
- Drape a kitchen towel over the top of the slow cooker and cover with the lid. Turn the slow cooker to warm and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Then, set the slow cooker on high heat and cook for 1½-2 hours, until the bread has a crust and a thermometer inserted in the loaf reaches 190°F.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Using the parchment paper, transfer the bread to a baking sheet. Trim the excess parchment. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, then slice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g