This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A rustic, artisan Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread sweetened with honey that is the perfect accompaniment to soup, stew, or simply toasted with butter and homemade strawberry jam. Baking in just a couple of hours in your Crockpot this foolproof whole wheat bread recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
There is nothing more “homey,” wholesome and comforting than homemade bread. But it takes time. And worthwhile effort. This recipe for Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Bread combines all of the hearty goodness of a homemade loaf and takes away the fuss and effort!
This recipe is super easy to make by hand with a bowl and a wooden spoon — or even easier with a stand mixer.
It’s not like a traditional loaf, the texture of the dough is very slightly sticky but the finished result is a crusty outer crust and a moist and tender crumb. It’s an easy recipe I come back to time and time again.
Frequently Asked Questions
While the bread does not brown in the slow cooker, a quick 5 minutes under the broiler yields a beautiful golden crispy crust.
Yes! This is where the different temperature settings come in handy!
A few other recipes you might enjoy!
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe with No Sugar
- Rustic Whole Wheat Bread Maker Recipe
- Traditional Brown Irish Soda Bread Recipe with Buttermilk
- One Loaf Oatmeal Sandwich Bread
- No Yeast Skillet Soda Bread
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast, and salt.
- Then add the olive oil, honey, and lukewarm water. Mix on low speed or by hand until the dough comes together and begins to pull away from the bowl.
- Knead the bread dough for 5 minutes, or until the dough is tacky but not sticky. This can be done by hand on a floured surface or in the stand mixer. This dough should be soft, but firm enough to knead. If the dough is too sticky or soft, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too dry, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add the dough to a bowl, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place. Once risen, deflate the dough and shape it into a ball.
- Set the dough in the middle of a piece of parchment paper large enough to line the slow cooker. Then place the parchment paper with the dough in the slow cooker.
- Drape a kitchen towel over the top of the slow cooker and cover it with the lid. Turn the slow cooker to warm and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Then, set the slow cooker on high heat and cook for 1½-2 hours, until the bread has a crust and a thermometer inserted in the loaf reaches 190°F.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Using the parchment paper, transfer the bread to a baking sheet. Trim the excess parchment. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, then slice.
Keep in mind that this bread is not like a traditional loaf, the texture of the dough is very slightly sticky but the finished result is a crusty outer crust and a moist and tender crumb.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g