This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is a rich and creamy comfort food heaven. With all the flavors you love in a chicken pot pie, with very little effort. Ready when you are, easily made from scratch. Perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Many delicious slow cooker recipes are made with condensed cream of chicken soup. I rarely if ever have this stocked in my pantry. So… when the comfort mood hits, I use what’s on hand. And condensed soup usually isn’t.
But, it does produce that thick, almost gravy-like consistency we love in a chicken pot pie.
Chicken Pot Pie Cooking Sauce
So… we’re making our own, cream of chicken soup/sauce… from scratch. And it’s easy, I promise. But if you really and truly want to skip this step, because it is an extra one, simply sub 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup for the cooking sauce.
Chicken Pot Pie Biscuits
Let’s talk biscuits. I love nothing better than a homemade, fresh from the oven biscuit. But this recipe is mostly hands-off, slow cook, and convenient. For that reason, we’re suggesting a tube of refrigerated biscuits you can pop in the oven during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Begin by making the cooking sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Then whisk in minced garlic and cook a few seconds, until fragrant. Immediately whisk in the flour and cook, whisking constant, a minute or two until it is nicely golden brown. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock, thyme, and paprika. Continue to whisk and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Next, layer the chicken breasts into the bottom of the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes if your people like that.
Then layer over the chicken breasts chopped onion, red potatoes, celery, carrots, and green beans. Finally, stir in the cooked and somewhat cooled sauce. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. Or high for 1 to 2 hours. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return it to the crockpot and stir in the frozen peas and corn. Let it cook for another 30 minutes while you make the biscuits.
More Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 ½ lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless (thighs or breasts)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound red potatoes diced
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cups green beans chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 16- ounce tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup milk or cream optional
For the Sauce
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Begin by making the cooking sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, a few seconds. Whisk in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken stock, thyme, and paprika. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside to cool while preparing the slow cooker and vegetables.
- Coat the inside of a 6-qt slow cooker with nonstick spray. Then lay the chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker; season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if your people like that. Layer the onion, potatoes, celery, carrots, and green beans over top of the chicken. Stir in the chicken sauce; cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot, add the frozen corn, peas, and optionally milk or cream if desired. Cover and cook on high for an additional 30 minutes.
- During the final 30 minutes, prepare the biscuits according to package instructions. Serve the chicken filling in bowls topped with biscuits and garnished with parsley.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.