This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we'll send it to your inbox. Plus, you'll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Slow Cooker Short Ribs and Pumpkin Chili, a hearty autumnal chili makes for a perfect and easy fall meal.
If you’re looking for a chili that’s a bit unique, flavorful, and easy too… you’ll want to try this.
It’s a new fall favorite. And almost makes itself.
What makes this chili delicious and easy is the addition of our Simple Barbecue Sauce. The flavors of Spanish Pimenton or paprika, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, and cumin make this dish special. I’ve not tested it with a commercial brand barbecue sauce. But if it had similar ingredients, it may work as well.
As the evenings grow decidedly brisk, this is a stick-to-your-ribs kind of dinner you’ll love.
Slow Cooker Short Ribs and Pumpkin Chili
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 pounds short ribs bone-in is my preference
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Simple Barbecue Sauce or your favorite ready-made barbecue sauce
- 1 15-ounce can beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups pure pumpkin or 15-ounce can
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 15-ounce cans beans drained
- 2 cups cubed cooking pumpkin or butternut squash
- 3 cups chopped curly kale
- Heat a skillet over high heat until hot. Add the oil and wait a minute until it shimmers. Place the short ribs into the skillet and sear until nicely browned on all sides. You won't want to crowd the pan, brown the ribs in batches if necessary.
- Combine the barbecue sauce, beef broth, pumpkin, and mustard in a small bowl. If the barbecue sauce has been chilled, warm it in the microwave for a few seconds before adding to the sauce.
- Place the onion and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker, top with the sauce mixture and combine. Nestle the browned short ribs into the slow cooker and turn to coat with the sauce. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the beans, cubed squash, and curly kale.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.