This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Anytime Rhubarb Almond Cake is an easy-to-make, moist, and tender dessert recipe perfect for springtime and rhubarb season. Featuring a delicate almond flavor complimented by the tangy and slightly sweet taste of rhubarb.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Beautiful pink and red colors make it a beautiful and delicious snack cake to enjoy… Anytime! Be that a holiday dessert, like Easter or Mother’s Day, teatime, brunch, or after dinner. Or simply when you’re craving something sweet.
And the colors? Oh my. It’s like spring time in cake form. Pink and red hues of rhubarb make this traditional almond cake even more special.
Whether you are a fan of rhubarb or just looking for a new dessert to try, this anytime rhubarb almond cake is sure to become a new favorite in your recipe collection.
What to Love About This Almond Cake
- Delicious almond flavor with sweet and tart rhubarb
- Easy and simple ingredients
- Pretty enough for holidays and teatime, but simple enough for snacking
What is an Anytime Rhubarb Almond Cake?
Anytime cakes are easy-to-make snack cakes that can be enjoyed… anytime and for any occasion. Be that an unexpected visitor at your door, a Spring Afternoon Tea, Sunday cake with coffee, an afternoon snack… or even for a special occasion.
Rhubarb pieces decorate the top of the cake making it both beautiful and delicious!
More “Anytime” Cakes at 31Daily!
- Simple Anytime Almond Cake
- Anytime Maple Banana Snack Cake
- Anytime Apple Cake
- 32 Anytime Snack Cakes You’ll Love to Bake
As I mentioned in our reader favorite Almond Cake recipe, “Similar versions of almond cakes, called Bolo de Amêndoa, were often served for afternoon tea in the Portuguese Royal Court. Queen Catherine is credited with bringing the ceremony of afternoon tea to the court in the 17th century.”
Are you ready to make this delicious cake? Me too, again!
Rhubarb Almond Cake Ingredients
Ingredient measurements are in the recipe card below, but here is what you will need:
- All-purpose flour
- Almonds: Blanched, sliced almonds for grinding into meal and for topping on the cake. Almond flour works for the meal if desired.
- Baking powder and salt for leavening and flavor
- Butter, softened to room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Almond and vanilla extracts
- Large eggs, at room temperature
- Sour cream
- Powdered sugar for serving
- Rhubarb, cut into pieces to decorate the top of the cake in your chosen pattern
- Sliced almonds
- Granulated sugar
- Confectioners’ Sugar for serving (optional)
How to Make Rhubarb Almond Cake
Step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below, but this will give you a brief overview of how to make this simple “Anytime” cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees and butter or coat the pan with baking spray.
- Grind the almonds then add the dry ingredients to a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light. Beat in the eggs, extracts, and sour cream.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Transfer batter to the pan and smooth the surface. Top with rhubarb, creating your desired pattern. Sprinkle with almonds and sugar.
- Bake 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is golden and springs back when lightly pressed.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
This is the kitchen tools I use when making this cake:
More Recipes You May Also Love
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Anytime Rhubarb Almond Cake
- Blue and White Plate Royal Crown Derby, Grenville
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched sliced almonds (plus more for garnishing top of the cake)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened, plus more for buttering pan
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lb. rhubarb halved horizontally and cut lengthwise if thick
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees. Butter sides and bottoms of a 9-inch springform pan (or use nonstick cooking spray).
- In a spice or nut grinder (or food processor or blender), pulse the almonds until finely ground. Then in a medium bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until mixed, then add the almond and vanilla extracts along with the sour cream.
- Beat in the flour mixture just until mixed with no dry flour streaks.
- Transfer the dough to the springform pan and smooth the batter with a spatula. Top with rhubarb, creating your desired pattern. Sprinkle with almonds and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
- Bake 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is golden and springs back when lightly pressed. During the last 10 minutes of baking, place a sheet of parchment paper over the cake if it is browning too quickly. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing the sides of the pan. When ready to serve, sift powdered sugar on top and slice into wedges.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.