Creamy Tuscan Chicken is a one-pot, easy skillet dinner with seared and juicy chicken seasoned with Italian spices and then simmered in a dairy-free velvety cream sauce with pan roasted tomatoes and spinach. And for incredible flavor, it’s topped with crispy prosciutto.
A skillet dinner that’s ready in no time and perfect for hectic weeknight meals or busy weekends.
What is Tuscan Chicken?
You may be familiar with Olive Garden’s popular Tuscan Garlic Chicken that is served over fettuccine. If so, this Skillet Tuscan Chicken recipe has a similar flavor profile and one you can easily and deliciously make at home.
As to the specific origins of Tuscan Chicken, I’ve not be able to pinpoint what that is, although Italian Florentine sauce has a lot of similarities to this creamy Tuscan sauce. A traditional Florentine sauce consists of heavy cream, white wine, butter, garlic, Parmesan and fresh spinach and is native to the region of Florence.
This Skillet Tuscan Chicken retains some of those flavors and augments it with simple pantry ingredients you may already have on hand. While incredibly easy, it’s a delicious chicken recipe you’ll want on repeat!
Creamy Tuscan Chicken Ingredients
Specific ingredient measurements are in the recipe card below, but this will give you an idea of what you’ll need to make this simple skillet chicken recipe.
- Olive oil: I’m using extra virgin olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken: I’m using thin-cut chicken breasts, which as you know cook much quicker. The cooking time in this recipe is written using this type of breast meat, but you could also substitute chicken tenders if you prefer.
- Prosciutto is a thin-cut Italian-style ham that adds incredible flavor to this dish. You could also substitute bacon or pancetta.
- Italian seasoning for flavor
- Vegetables: garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes, and baby spinach.
- Creamy sauce: coconut milk, cream or half and half, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice.
- For serving: grated Parmesan cheese and lemon wedges
How to Make Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Here’s how to make this oh-so-simple skillet Tuscan chicken. Detailed instructions are in the card below, but here is a brief overview:
- Season the chicken and heat olive oil in a large skillet. Cook prosciutto until crispy. Remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, sear the chicken on both sides until cooked through. Remove the chicken.
- Then add garlic, cherry tomatoes, and seasoning to the skillet and cook until the tomatoes are beginning to burst.
- Stir in the coconut milk (or heavy cream), Dijon, lemon juice, parmesan, and spinach, and cook. Serve with chicken, crispy prosciutto, and fresh basil, oregano, or parsley if desired.
More Recipes You May Also Love
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Easy Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts thin cut
- 3 ounces prosciutto chopped or torn
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or cream (half and half)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until crispy. Remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the seasoned chicken and sear on both sides; about 3 to 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the skillet.
- To the skillet add the garlic, cherry tomatoes, remaining Italian seasoning, and a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes are beginning to burst.
- Stir in the coconut milk (or heavy cream), Dijon, lemon juice, parmesan, and spinach. Cook for about 5 minutes. Serve with chicken, crispy prosciutto, and fresh basil.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.