If you’re looking for a healthy Instant Pot Turkey Chili recipe, this is one you have to try! We’ve fallen in love with the robust flavors expected in a great chili, yet still easy to make and, best of all, healthy!
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Ingredients
You will need to gather ground turkey, 15-ounce cans of black beans, pinto beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes. You will also need an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce and a variety of pantry herbs and spices.
For the vegetables, you will need a small onion, a couple of garlic cloves, and two bell peppers. I like to add color by using a green and orange bell pepper.
How to Make Turkey Chili in the Instant Pot
On the Instant Pot, select the saute setting. Then add the olive oil and brown the ground turkey. Then add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
Stir in the herbs and spices, the beans and water. Then without stirring, this is important, pour over the top the undrained tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes and either release the pressure quickly or manually.
Tip for Making Delicious and Healthy Turkey Chili in the Instant Pot
Be sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot when using the saute function to cook the ground turkey, onions, and peppers. If they are left intact, it could possibly trigger the burn error. Which simply means, the pressure cooker stops cooking.
Also, be sure to add the tomatoes and tomato sauce as the last ingredients… and do not stir them into the chili. This also will help prevent that dreaded burn error.
More Chili Recipes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers (I use green and orange)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each)
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- Assorted toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, fresh cilantro
- Select the "saute" setting on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil and let heat for a few seconds. Then add the ground turkey and cook until browned, breaking up as it cooks.
- Then add the chopped onion and peppers, continue to cook on the saute setting until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, Italian seasoning, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and pepper to taste; I use about 1 tsp each. Cook for another 30 seconds or until the herbs and spices become fragrant. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Stir in the beans and the water. Then, without stirring, pour the undrained tomatoes and tomato sauce over the top of the beans. Set in the lid in place and turn the valve to sealing. Select manual high pressure and cook for 20 minutes... or the Chili/Beans setting. Once it has finished cooking, release the pressure naturally or quickly release any remaining pressure.
- Serve with assorted toppings and cornbread or corn muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 635mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 15g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 28g