This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe is amazingly delicious, packed with flavor, and super quick and easy to make. The flavors blend beautifully and makes for a healthy, delicious lunch or light dinner.
The soup is also naturally gluten-free and vegan, if using vegetable broth.
It’s a comfort food everyone loves.
Although it has a beautiful blend of fragrant spices, if you like it spicy, add a bit more red pepper flakes.
It’s comfort food, all season long!
If you’re looking for an equally easy stovetop soup, you will love our Butternut Squash Soup: A Simple and Delicious Cold Weather Soup.
How Easy is this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup?
So easy… that I hadn’t even intended to make it a post. It’s just a favorite quick lunch at my house.
But it’s SO delicious, I couldn’t help but share.
In this recipe, all of the ingredients are added to the Instant Pot insert with no sauteing ahead of time.
The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure, and then it’s an 8-minute cook time. The pressure is then quickly released.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Ingredients and Substitutions
This recipe uses a medium butternut squash that is peeled, seeded, and cubed. You will need 3 to 4 cups. Quick tip, to speed up the prep time, cube the squash the night before. Or buy it pre-cubed.
I use whatever variety of apples I have on hand, and you will need one. Seed and chop the apple. I do not peel it as it adds a bit more fiber to this already healthy soup!
Vegetables and Herbs:
The fresh ginger makes this soup incredibly flavorful. I DO recommend the fresh ginger, but in a pinch, you can substitute a scant teaspoon of ground ginger. I also love using fresh thyme, as I grow herbs all year long. But 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme will work too.
To make this soup vegan friendly, use 2 cups of vegetable broth. Otherwise, chicken broth is delicious too.
You will also need a medium chopped onion, 3 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper, and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
To finish the soup and give it a silky, creamy texture, add about 1/2 cup of either milk, coconut milk, half-and-half, or cream.
More Instant Pot Recipes We Love
- Easy Instant Pot Turkey Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Vegetarian Instant Pot White Bean Soup: 5 Minute Recipe
- 2 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk (half n-half, cream, or coconut milk)
- Add the stock, garlic, ginger, apple, butternut squash, thyme, onion, salt, pepper, and cinnamon to the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Stir, close the lid, and set the valve to "sealing."
- Select manual high pressure and set the Instant Pot to cook for 8 minutes. Once cooked, quickly release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in the milk and puree the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender. If using a blender, transfer the soup in 2 separate batches.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired and serve.
Either vegetable or chicken stock works great!
I like to drizzle a bit more cream on the top, along with fresh thyme. Fresh red pepper flakes are also delicious!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g