This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup recipe is amazingly delicious, packed with flavor, and super quick and easy to make. The flavors blend beautifully and makes for a healthy, delicious lunch or light dinner.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
The soup is also naturally gluten-free and vegan, if using vegetable broth.
It’s a comfort food everyone loves.
Although it has a beautiful blend of fragrant spices, if you like it spicy, add a bit more red pepper flakes.
It’s comfort food, all season long!
If you’re looking for an equally easy stovetop soup, you will love our Butternut Squash Soup: A Simple and Delicious Cold Weather Soup.
How Easy is this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup?
So easy… that I hadn’t even intended to make it a post. It’s just a favorite quick lunch at my house.
But it’s SO delicious, I couldn’t help but share.
In this recipe, all of the ingredients are added to the Instant Pot insert with no sauteing ahead of time.
The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure, and then it’s an 8-minute cook time. The pressure is then quickly released.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Ingredients and Substitutions
This recipe uses a medium butternut squash that is peeled, seeded, and cubed. You will need 3 to 4 cups. Quick tip, to speed up the prep time, cube the squash the night before. Or buy it pre-cubed.
I use whatever variety of apples I have on hand, and you will need one. Seed and chop the apple. I do not peel it as it adds a bit more fiber to this already healthy soup!
Vegetables and Herbs:
The fresh ginger makes this soup incredibly flavorful. I DO recommend the fresh ginger, but in a pinch, you can substitute a scant teaspoon of ground ginger. I also love using fresh thyme, as I grow herbs all year long. But 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme will work too.
To make this soup vegan friendly, use 2 cups of vegetable broth. Otherwise, chicken broth is delicious too.
You will also need a medium chopped onion, 3 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper, and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
To finish the soup and give it a silky, creamy texture, add about 1/2 cup of either milk, coconut milk, half-and-half, or cream.
More Instant Pot Recipes We Love
- Easy Instant Pot Turkey Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Vegetarian Instant Pot White Bean Soup: 5 Minute Recipe
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 2 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk (half n-half, cream, or coconut milk)
- Add the stock, garlic, ginger, apple, butternut squash, thyme, onion, salt, pepper, and cinnamon to the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Stir, close the lid, and set the valve to "sealing."
- Select manual high pressure and set the Instant Pot to cook for 8 minutes. Once cooked, quickly release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in the milk and puree the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender. If using a blender, transfer the soup in 2 separate batches.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired and serve.
Either vegetable or chicken stock works great!
I like to drizzle a bit more cream on the top, along with fresh thyme. Fresh red pepper flakes are also delicious!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g