Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is a simple, easy, super creamy take on classic comfort food. And a genius way to add more vegetables to any meal, full of delicious fall flavors.
Fresh or frozen butternut squash adds a sweet and nutty flavor to this delicious Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese recipe, upping the nutrition, and cutting calories and fat.
In other words… it’s a healthier Mac and Cheese recipe. And honestly, so good, there is NO sacrifice here!
When made in the Instant Pot, we’re talking 3 minutes of active cooking time. And when you add frozen or fresh cubed butternut squash, there’s hardly any prep.
It’s a wonderful recipe on many levels.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese Directions
Here’s how easy it is to make.
In the base of the Instant Pot, heat olive oil using the saute function. Add onion, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, and paprika and cook until softened. Then, cancel the saute function.
To the base, add dry macaroni, cubed butternut squash (fresh or frozen), and chicken broth. Cover and set the valve to sealing.
Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Once cooking has completed, quickly release the pressure.
Switch to the saute function, and stir in butter, milk, and shredded cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and smooth. Serve!
If you enjoyed this recipe on 31 Daily, you might also enjoy:
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli with Soy Sauce
- Best Instant Pot Green Lentil Soup
- Smoky Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Instant Pot Chicken Mulligatawny Soup
Save this and pin it for later!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 16 oz elbow noodles
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (frozen or fresh)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 oz shredded mild cheese blend
- Turn on the saute function and heat olive oil in the Instant Pot base. Add the onion and cook until softened. Then add garlic, thyme, paprika, and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Cancel the saute function.
- Add dry macaroni, cubed butternut squash, and broth. Stir to submerge the pasta in the liquid. Attach the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Once cooking has completed, quickly release the pressure.
- Switch to the saute function, and stir in butter, milk, and shredded cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and smooth. Stirring will also help break up any remaining cubes of butternut squash.
Other varieties of squash or pumpkin can be substituted for the butternut squash, if liked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 1024mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 15g
31Daily.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although 31Daily.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.