Instant Pot Ground Beef and Broccoli is my go-to dinner whenever I’m craving that favorite takeout classic. Made with ground beef, it’s an incredibly easy and delicious adaptation of the original.
And so good, you might just skip Chinese takeout more than you thought.
If you’re looking for a quick and delicious Asian inspired pressure cooker meal, you have to give this one a try. This Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli dish will cook in 4 minutes with a 10 minute natural release. Pretty good in my book!
Made with affordable ground beef, it’s so tasty cooked in a rich sauce, full of sweet and salty flavor. A bit of heat is added with red pepper flakes.
It’s a simple and easy weeknight dinner — or anytime you’re craving takeout!
How to Make this Easy Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
Begin by browning the ground beef and chopped onions in the base of the pressure cooker. Cook just until it’s browned with very little if any pink in the meat. Drain any excess fat accumulated in the bottom of the pan.
Then add the garlic, saute a few seconds before stirring in the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes.
Set the lid to sealing on the Instant Pot and cook on manual high pressure for 4 minutes. Once cooked, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before quickly releasing any remaining pressure.
In the meantime, steam the broccoli. Once the pressure is released, remove the lid and whisk together a thickener of water and cornstarch. Stir it into the cooked sauce and watch it magically and beautifully thicken before your eyes.
Add the broccoli and serve over cooked rice.
Can I cook the rice in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely. You will need a 6 to 7 inch pan plus a high trivet insert for a 6 quart Instant Pot.
In the inserted pan, add 2 cups rinsed long grain rice, 2 1/2 cups water, plus 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set the pan on top of the high tivet and cook as directed in the recipe.
Cooking the Broccoli
I prefer to steam the broccoli separately so it remains crisp. But cook it however works best for you; the microwave, stop-top or in the pressure cooker.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound broccoli florets, diced into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Put olive oil in the base of the Instant Pot and select the saute function. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the lean ground beef and chopped onion; cook until the onions are translucent and the gound beef is browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Turn off the saute function.
- Stir in the water, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes; stir until the sugar is dissolved. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and set the cooking time for 12 minutes.
- While the ground beef is cooking, cook, steam, or microwave the broccoli until tender. The microwave will take about 3 to 4 minutes with 1/4 cup of water.
- Once the ground beef has cooked, quick-release the pressure. Once the pin drops, remove the lid.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water; whisk until smooth. Select the saute function on the Instant Pot and stir into the beef. Continue to cook until it has thickened. This should take seconds. Add the steamed broccoli and serve over hot, cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds.
To Cook Rice in the Instant Pot
Insert a high trivet over the browned meat and sauce. To a 6 to 7-inch pot, add rinsed rice, water, and salt. Then set the pan on top of the high trivet and cooked the recipe as directed.