Instant Pot Pineapple Chicken is a quick and easy, delicious meal that transports you to the tropics. Ready in 30 minutes or less, it’s packed with Hawaiian flavor, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
Served over cooked rice, it’s a meal you’ll find yourself making often.
3 Favorites About Instant Pot Pineapple Chicken
Here are 3 reasons why I love Pineapple Chicken:
- It’s pretty and festive, especially when paired with fresh pineapple
- There is no pre-cooking or sauteing
- Packed with fresh fruit and veggies
Okay — and one more (I can’t help but mention this too!) It makes the most amazing sauce ever to serve over rice!
Instant Pot Pineapple Chicken Ingredients
As mentioned, this Instant Pot chicken is packed with fresh ingredients. Measurements are in the recipe card below.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Small onion
- Canned pineapple chunks
- Bell peppers
- Fresh ginger (or ground ginger in a pinch)
- Garlic cloves
- Barbecue sauce
- Soy sauce (I prefer low sodium)
- Brown sugar (or honey)
- Red pepper flakes
- Cooked rice for serving
Prepping the ingredients:
I like to chop the onion, peppers, and chicken in about 1-inch pieces for uniformity. Chopping, then, is accomplished fairly quickly.
Use a variety of your favorite colors. I’ve used red and yellow bell peppers.
While I prefer pineapple chunks to tidbits, both work equally well. You can also substitute 1 and 1/2 cups of fresh pineapple plus 1 cup of pineapple juice.
It doesn’t require a lot of garnishing, but fresh herbs are always a plus. I love to sprinkle fresh chopped parsley or cilantro just before serving. Green onions are nice too.
Season with salt and pepper as needed. Fresh ginger is truly amazing in this dish. But in a pinch, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of ground ginger instead.
How to Make Instant Pot Pineapple Chicken
The complete steps are in the recipe card below, but here is a summary:
Add all of the ingredients (chicken, onion, pineapple with juice, peppers, ginger, garlic, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes) into the Instant Pot and stir.
Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with a natural release of 10 minutes.
Remove the lid, select the sauté function and stir in the cornstarch slurry. Cook, stirring gently until the mixture has thickened.
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving over rice.
Can You Make Pineapple Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Absolutely. Coat a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. First, layer the chicken pieces on the bottom of the crockpot. Then add the ingredients and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or 1 and 1/2 hours on HIGH.
More Recipes We Love
- Coconut Pineapple Smoothie: Every Sip is Like Taking a Vacation
- Easy Sheet Pan Hawaiian Chicken
- Instant Pot Mac & Cheese
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 bell peppers, diced into into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated (or 1 tsp ground)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- To the pressure cooker, add the chicken, onion, canned pineapple with juice, bell peppers, ginger, garlic, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes. Stir well.
- Close the Instant Pot lid, set the valve to sealing, and cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before quickly releasing remaining pressure.
- Cancel the cooking function and select the Sauté function.
- In a small bowl combine the water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir the slurry into the chicken. Stirring gently, let the mixture cook for a couple of minutes, or until it thickens.
- Cancel the function and let the chicken cool for 5 minutes before serving over cooked brown, white, or basmati rice (or your favorite grain). Season with sea salt as needed.
Chicken thighs can be substituted for the breasts. To save time, look for pre-chopped chicken breasts at your market.
I like to garnish the chicken with:
- Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- Chopped green onions
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 863mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 49g