Instant Pot Tomato Soup is a super easy, comfort food classic. Homemade tomato soup can take awhile. The Instant Pot makes this incredibly delicious vegetarian soup in a fraction of the time.
And lunch? Make this soup ahead to have for easy, healthy lunches — all week long.
What I Love About This Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- It’s a one-pot, easy clean-up recipe.
- Has a slow-simmered flavor in 20 minutes or less.
- Perfect to chill and make ahead.
- If you love chilled soup, this recipe is wonderful served warm or cold. On warm days — this soup chilled is refreshingly delicious. Cold days become warm and cozy with this soup.
- It’s also freezer friendly.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup Serving Ideas
One of the beauties of tomato soup is its versatility. It’s always delicious with croutons, melted cheese and basil. If time allows, a 1-hour French bread is superbly delicious too. Here are some more ideas:
- Top with Crispy Curry Roasted Chickpeas for a punch of flavor.
- Serve with a green salad for lunch.
- Any kind of melty grilled sandwich is, of course, a match made in heaven.
- Olive oil brushed, toasted bread cubes to float on top.
Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Paleo and Whole30 Friendly
This Instant Pot Tomato soup is vegetarian and gluten-free. It’s also paleo and whole30 friendly.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Pasta Soup
- Curry Lentil Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Vegetarian White Bean Soup – 5 minutes
If you love to cook in a pressure cooker, be sure to read our Instant Pot recipes here >
Our Favorite Soup Recipes
We love soup and make it all year long. It’s cozy, a comfort food classic, and always seems to fit the meal. Or, even be the meal. Here are some of our favorite stovetop and slow cooker soup recipes.
- Slow Cooker Cream of Potato Soup
- Stovetop Cream of Potato Soup
- Classic Ribollita: Tuscan Bean Soup
- 15 Minute White Bean Soup with Garden Vegetables
Click this link for more soup recipes >
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz can vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using the saute function on your pressure cooker, sauté the onion in butter for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is softened. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds more.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot to release any browned bits. This is an important step to prevent the auto-shutoff due to a "burn" error. Plus, all that flavor is going into the soup!
- Add the chopped carrots, crushed tomatoes, sugar tomato paste, and Italian Seasoning; stir.
- Lock the lid in place and set the Instant Pot to HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Once cooked, release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes followed by a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Use a handheld immersion blender to puree the tomato soup until smooth. You can also use a blender or food processor.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Add 1/3 cup of additional broth or milk to cream to thin the consistency if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve!
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh parsley or torn basil
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g