Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is fall-apart-tender, braised in a somewhat spicy tomato-chipotle sauce, that makes amazing tacos. Or whatever else your heart desires.
It has a deliciously easy sauce with a flavor depth that permeates the beef as it slow cooks for hours. With very little effort to achieve such amazing results.
Plus, it’s perfect for meal prep yielding any number of Mexican flavored dishes. And… it’s 100% freezer friendly.
Why I Love Mexican Shredded Beef
One of my favorite weeknight/meal prep tricks is Mexican shredded chicken. So convenient for tacos, nachos, pasta ragu, and even Chicken Tortilla Soup.
But this Mexican Shredded Beef is in a league all of its own. So incredibly flavorful.
And also perfect for tacos, nachos, grain bowls, burritos… salads, and, of course, lots more. So…
What to make with Mexican Shredded Beef
While the variations and ideas are endless, here are just a few that come to mind:
• Tacos (of course – keep reading)
• Nachos – skillet or sheet pan (nacho recipes)
• Burritos – (perfect for freezing)
• Quesadillas – (quick and snack perfect)
• Enchiladas – swap the chicken for this shredded beef (recipes here)
• Grain Bowls – bring incredible Mexican flavor to your grain and burrito bowls (ideas here)
• Empanadas – savory picnic, street and party food (recipes here)
Mexican Shredded Beef Ingredients
Seven simple ingredients plus spices:
• Beef Roast
• Orange Juice
• Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
• 14 ounce can Petite Diced Tomatoes
• Beef Stock
How to Make Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
Begin with a 2 to 3-pound beef chuck roast. Cut it into 4 pieces and sear on all sides.
Side note: I’m loving this new French nonstick skillet I picked up recently to replace one damaged in a move. So far, other than my cast iron, this is my favorite nonstick skillet!
Remove the seared roast and place in the slow cooker. In the same skillet, add the onions and cook for a few minutes to soak up the flavor from the beef. Then add the broth and cook for a minute or so to scrape up the browned bits of yummy deliciousness.
Pour the onions and broth mixture over the beef in the slow cooker. Finally, add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Turn the beef to coat, cover, and cook on low until the beef is fall-apart tender.
Once cooked, remove the beef from the sauce and shred with 2 forks. Meanwhile, let the sauce reduce slightly by continuing to simmer. Add as much sauce as you wish to the shredded beef and serve.
Simple additions to already amazing tacos:
• Mexican Shredded Beef
• Tortillas (corn, flour, or street size to 8-inch)
• Pico de Gallo (Mexican Salsa)
• or Chopped Tomatoes
• Baby Field Greens
• Sour cream
• Fresh cilantro, whole and chopped
• Sliced Red Onions