This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This 15 minute Spanish Baked Cod recipe is a super easy, deliciously flavored, oven baked cod recipe that’s moist and juicy with almost zero prep. And with only a handful of ingredients, it’s a perfect dish to make on busy days.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Baked Cod is one of easiest ways to get dinner on the table in a flash. It’s healthy, and super easy to make. It’s also one of the most popular fish to use in recipes.
“Cod is one of the most common and most popular fish options we put on our plates and in our bowls. With thick meat that flakes into juicy, bite-sized pieces and a mild taste that complements virtually any flavor, it is a versatile ingredient, beloved by even the most fish-averse eaters.”Mashed.com
As stated, cod is a mild flavored fish that needs a few enhancements to bring flavor. Which is part of its charm. Incredibly versatile, it’s a blank canvas kind of fish that’s fun to work with.
What to love about this Baked Cod recipe
- Uses only a few pantry ingredients that are likely already on hand.
- Bakes in 10 to 12 minutes.
- Juicy, moist, and tender with almost zero effort!
Now, let’s talk about what makes this baked cod recipe… Spanish.
Spanish Cod and Paprika Cod
Both Spanish Cod and Paprika Cod are widely popular and loved dishes. Each has its own signature ingredients, but there are some similarities. Paprika Cod is often cooked in a well-seasoned tomato sauce. Spanish Cod often derives it’s name from the seasonings used.
In this recipe, I borrow a little from both to make the easiest cod recipe ever. One of these days I’ll post a delicious, more traditional Spanish Cod recipe I love to make!
Until then, let’s talk about the most important ingredient in this recipe.
With origins in Central Mexico, paprika was brought to Spain in the sixteenth century before moving to Asia, Africa, and other European nations.
Paprika is a ground spice made from dried peppers including hot chili peppers, cayenne peppers, poblano peppers, sweet peppers, and others.
There are 3 main varieties of Paprika, each with it’s own attributes and flavor components. Some paprikas are hot and spicy, others are sweet and mild, and some are smoky. In this recipe, choose your favorite paprika, or one you have on hand. If you’re in the market to buy paprika, here is a bit more on those 3 varieties:
- Regular Paprika: This is the most common spice found in the pantry. It’s mild with no strong notes or either heat or sweetness.
- Hungarian Paprika: As the national spice of Hungary, this paprika can have varying degrees of heat.
- Spanish Paprika (aka pimenton): This paprika also varies between mild, mildly spicy, and spicy. It’s also smoky due to its preparation—its typically made by drying chili peppers over oak fires (pimenton de la vera). Some Spanish paprika, though, are made by drying peppers in the sun or kilns. These do not generally have a smoky flavor.
Ingredients for this Spanish Baked Cod recipe
This is all you need to make this easy baked cod recipe! Exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Cod fillet, patted dry
- Lemon juice
- Paprika: Spanish, smoked, or your favorite
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper for added heat if desired
- Fresh parsley for serving
How to Bake Cod
Baking cod couldn’t be easier than with this incredibly simple recipe! Step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Arrange the cod fillets in a baking pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Season with paprika, garlic powder, cayenne (if using) and salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
All you really need is a baking pan or even a sheet pan. I prefer a glass pan, but a baking tray will also work. A sharp knife is needed if you cut the fish into filets yourself.
What I’m serving with this Spanish Baked Cod recipe
- Mediterranean Salad: par-boiled peppers, zucchini, red onion, mixed Greek olives, and Feta
- Boiled and seasoned quartered potatoes
- Muhammara: a red pepper and walnut dip
More Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
15 Minute Spanish Baked Cod Recipe
- 1 lb cod fillet patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika Spanish, smoked, or your favorite
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper for added heat if desired
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Arrange the cod fillets in a baking pan. I prefer a glass baking pan but a tray also works wells. Drizzle olive oil over the cod followed by lemon juice.
- Sprinkle paprika, garlic powder, cayenne (if using) and season fillets with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cod. When cooked, it should flake easily and reach an internal temperature of 145°F. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.