Mornings in our house are crazy at best. Early mornings and long afternoons demand a hearty breakfast that prepares the family for a great and healthful day. Egg cups are perfectly proportioned, full of whole grains and protein… and best of all, portable. There’s nothing better than that!
6 slices whole-wheat bread
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
6 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 turkey bacon slices, cut in half (I use turkey bacon because it is fully cooked. Canadian Bacon, cut in half would also be an excellent choice! If you use another type, be sure to cook it before placing it into the muffin tins).
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Prepare jumbo sized muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Trim crusts off bread and flatten each slice with your fingers. Lightly brush tops with melted butter and cut each slice in half diagonally.
3. Place 2 bread halves in each of 6 muffin cups, making sure to cover bottom entirely and allowing bread corners to extend above rims. Place 1 slice of bacon in each cup. Crack an egg into each cup. Be sure to pierce the egg yolk with a fork. Top each with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
4. Bake at 375° for 20 – 25 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Extras (and really, one could come up with endless variations):
• Sprinkle grated cheese between the egg and the bacon.
• Top each egg cup with freshly cut chives.
• Add finely chopped tomatoes on top of the bacon for added flavor and nutrition.