An easy make-ahead breakfast casserole perfect for the holidays, entertaining, serving groups, on holiday mornings, or for brunch. Packed with vegetables, this is always a favorite every time I serve it.
I’m such a fan of make-ahead breakfast casseroles, especially this oh-so-easy Vegetable Egg Bake. Filled with favorite seasonal vegetables, high-protein eggs, and a punch of savory bacon.
I mentioned serving this breakfast casserole during the holidays, but it’s equally perfect for busy weekends, or even to make ahead for busy weekday mornings. It’s filling, healthy, and loaded with protein. A perfect grab-and-go breakfast.
What I love about egg bake breakfast casseroles is their versatility with seasonal vegetables. As the seasons change, so do the veggies. With a simple ratio of eggs to milk to cheese to veggies, I switch it up often.
The recipe is below, but first, here’s my egg bake rule of thumb.
Breakfast Casserole Egg Bake Recipe Formula
For a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (3-quart) I add:
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (combination)
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups fresh mixed vegetables (onion, peppers, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, asparagus, potatoes-shredded, spinach, kale, etc.)
- 1 cup meat, optional (bacon, sausage, ham)
- seasoning (salt, pepper, spices like basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, thyme, rosemary, garlic, tarragon)
For an 11 x 7.5 baking pan (2-quart) I add:
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese (combination)
- 3 cups fresh mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup meat
More Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp each)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled (about 6 slices)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; stir in garlic, basil, salt, pepper (1/2 tsp each). crushed red pepper flakes, shredded cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Spray the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Add the spinach, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, and bacon to the baking pan; spread evenly. Pour egg mixture on top, gently stirring mixture to distribute. Cover and refrigerate about 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the refrigerated casserole and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until just set and a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- This breakfast casserole can be assembled and baked the same day. Adjust the bake time to 30 to 35 minutes and check for doneness.
I like to use fresh baby spinach leaves, but if you substitute frozen spinach, be sure to thaw and squeeze out excess moisture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 342mgSodium: 743mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g