German Apple Kuchen is one of the easiest cakes you’ll ever make. Absolutely delicious with fresh sliced apples over a buttery, moist cake. A cinnamon-sugar topping is truly the icing on the cake.
What is Apple Kuchen?
Apple Kuchen, which is translated as the German word for cake, is a dessert with a bread crust, a custard, and a topping of fruit. In this case, apple.
Kuchen is part of a 400-year-old “Kaffee and Kuchen” (or Coffee and Cake) tradition, much like teatime in Great Britain. On Sundays, between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m., many Germans gather with friends and family to enjoy cakes, kuchens, and other confections, over a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Every German should have a secret Kuchen recipe… Here’s mine. While it deviates slightly from the expected, it always gets wonderful reviews.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8-inch cake or tart pan with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the egg, milk, and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder; mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the apples in concentric circles and press into the batter, letting it come slightly up the sides of the pan. Sprinkle with as much of the cinnamon-sugar mixture topping as desired. You can also, optionally, sprinkle some chopped walnuts over the top.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned. Let cool completely. Drizzle with an Icing Glaze made up of confectioner’s sugar and water if desired.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- chopped walnuts (optional)
Sprinkle over the top of the unbaked kuchen. Use as much or as little as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g