Bite-size Berry Puff Pastry Tarts with Lemon Cream is a so-easy afternoon tea sweet, brunch, or summer dessert. May perfect, of course, with a cup of tea. Easy, fresh and perfect for the season.
I’ve used mixed berries, but any variety of berries will be delicious. Ideas might be blueberries, blackberries, strawberries… or even tart red currants in early summer.
Berry Puff Pastry Tarts
This recipe calls for 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry and will make 12 tarts. But it can easily be doubled if you’re serving a crowd.
Watch this Video on Working with Puff Pastry
How to Make the Pastry Tarts
Cover and thaw a sheet of frozen puff pastry at room temperature. When they are cool yet still a bit stiff, cut into 12 squares. Brush each tart square with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Bake the tart shells in a preheated oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until beautifully golden brown. Store at room temperature until you’re ready to assemble and serve.
Lemon Curd Cream
Make the lemon curd cream ahead for a quick and easy tart assembly just before serving.
Combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, whipping cream, and lemon curd (which can be homemade or store-bought).
Using a stand or electric mixer, combine the ingredients and beat into a soft peak. Store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the Berry Puff Pastry Tarts.
Assembling the Tarts
Prepare the fruit. I like to use a combination of in-season berries or fruit. I also like to toss them with a drizzle of honey for added sweetness.
Spread each puff pastry tart with Lemon Curd Cream and top with the berries. Using a fine-mesh strainer, dust each pastry with confectioners sugar. And serve immediately.
It’s really that simple! Bite-size, incredibly delicious Berry Puff Pastry Tarts.
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed and cut into squares
- water to brush over pastry
- 2 tablespoons sugar to dust pastry squares
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries (or berry of choice)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- To make the Pastry Squares: Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Thaw 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry and cut into 12 squares. I like to use my pizza cutter but a sharp knife works too.
- Place the squares on the prepared baking sheet. Pierce the center of each pastry with a fork. Brush the pastry with water and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the Tart Squares: Bake the squares in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes or until they puff up and are golden brown. Do not underbake as you want them to be nicely browned. Remove from the oven, transfer the squares to a rack to cool completely. Set aside and store at room temperature until you're ready to assemble and serve the tarts.
- Prep the Fruit: In a small bowl combine the berries and fruit; drizzle with a bit of honey to sweeten. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the Lemon Cream: In a small bowl combine the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar with a stand or electric mixer. Add the cream and continue to beat until incorporated and the mixture begins to thicken. Increase the speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the lemon curd and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- To serve: Place a dollop of lemon cream on top of each pastry square. Spoon the fresh berries on top and dust with additional powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately.
Dust berry tarts with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g