‘Tis the season for Creamy Chestnut Mushroom Soup. It’s also the time of year when I begin dreaming about chestnuts roasting over an open fire.
Since I’ve not accomplished the latter, I make sure to enjoy the soup.
I’ll never forget my first taste of a chestnut mushroom soup. A fancy downtown restaurant, memories of the Nutcracker’s Waltz of the Snowflakes still fresh in my memory… candlelight and my charming husband.
Food can evoke such cherished memories. Almost like a bookmark of time and place.
Do you have any standout dishes connected with a special time in your life? Keep the memories alive and make the dish… often.
This is an easy, festive, perfect-for-the-season soup. Earthy chestnuts and mushrooms are simmered in a fresh herb-infused broth before being pureed into a creamy soup.
Creamy Chestnut Mushroom Soup
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 8 cups mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 cups cooked chestnuts (14.5-oz jar, drained)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chives, snipped, for garnish
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes. Remove a few mushrooms from the pan and reserve for garnish. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts and cook for 4 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and add the thyme, and rosemary; bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Partially cover the pan and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. Whisk in creme fraiche and black pepper. Season with more salt to taste. Serve hot and garnish with reserved mushrooms and fresh snipped chives.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 422mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 8gSugar: 14gProtein: 11g