This easy Mushroom and Kale Quiche is a savory quiche that’s simply delicious. With a proper custard and a few simple ingredients, it’s one you’ll find yourself making often. Serve with a delicious green salad or a warm cup of soup for a wintry day.
Mushroom and Kale Quiche
You might like to see more recipes for a Winter Afternoon Tea.
Can You Freeze Quiche?
This Mushroom and Kale Quiche freezes beautifully.
Freeze Before Baking:
Place quiche on a tray and freeze until firm. Wrap in heavy-duty (or double thickness) foil or into a resealable freezer bag. Label and freeze from one to three months.
Freeze After Baking:
Do not thaw before reheating. Remove wrap and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 25 minutes, or until heated through.
Substituting Greens and Cheese
While we’ve used kale in this recipe, you can choose your favorite greens like collards or spinach. You can also swap the Swiss cheese for Gruyère, Fontina, or any other Italian blend cheese.
How to Make Mushroom and Kale Quiche
1. Prebake a store-bought pastry shell according to package instructions. I bake mine at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.
2. Sautee mushrooms, greens, garlic cloves in a skillet.
3. Layer the ingredients into the pastry shell. Begin with shredded cheese and top with sauteed mushrooms and kale. Pour the custard over the top.
More Quiche Recipe You Will Love
- Easy Bacon, Cheese and Spinach Quiche
- Crustless Quiche with Bacon, Cheese and Spinach
- Broccoli Quiche with Tomatoes
- Salmon Quiche with Spinach, Dill, and Mozzarella
- 1 store-bought pastry crust
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups baby kale leaves, stems removed and sliced *
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese *
- Roll pastry crust into a quiche pan or pie plate and trim the edges. Follow the package instructions for pre-baking the crust. I preheat the oven to 425 degrees, dock the crust with a form, and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool while making the filling. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and sauté the mushrooms until browned; about 2 minutes. Add the sliced kale and cook until it wilts. Then add the garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and red pepper flakes. Once the garlic cooked; about 1 minute, remove from the heat and let cool and making the custard.
- To Make the Custard: In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, egg yolks, eggs, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- To Make the Quiche: Place the pre-baked pastry on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the base of the shell. Then add the sautéed mushroom and kale, and top with custard.
- Bake the quiche for 45 to 50 minutes. The quiche is done once the custard is set and is lightly golden brown. Let cool for before removing from the tart or quiche pan and serve.
- While we've used kale in this recipe, other greens like spinach and collard are delicious too. Use your favorite!
- Use your favorite grated cheese. Swiss, Gruyère, Fontina, or Italian blend cheese are great choices.
- While you can get 8 to 10 slices from a 9-inch quiche, heartier eaters may like larger slices. Plan accordingly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 259mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g