This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Mexican Chocolate Cookies are lightly spiced with cinnamon and cayenne yet deliver a rich, chocolatey flavor so incredibly delicious, I keep making them again and again.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
I love serving these on a Taco Tuesday night, or a Mexican Fiesta night, um, well, anytime actually we’re serving anything remotely or Mexican inspired. I kind of really like these. And, they’re simply made with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Mexican chocolate is superb but I don’t always have it stocked in the pantry. It often comes in a disc or tablet shape. It has a grainier texture than traditional soft chocolate commonly used in baking.
Commonly flavored with cinnamon and almond, Mexican chocolate has a unique flavor used often in Mexican hot chocolate and mole poblano. In this recipe, we’ve mimicked the flavors of Mexican chocolate while using the traditional chocolate most of us have in the pantry.
Ingredient List for Mexican Chocolate Cookies
The exact ingredient measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s an overview of what you need to make these oh-so-tempting Mexican inspired cookies:
- Unsalted butter at room temperature
- Light brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda and salt
- Seasoning: ground cinnamon, chili powder, and cayenne pepper
- Semisweet or dark chocolate chips
More Cookie Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12-ounce package semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375° or 350³ for convection and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar in a stand mixer until fluffy. Beat in the eggs followed by the vanilla; mix until creamy. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, chili powder, and cayenne to the butter mixture. Beat until just blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop, space cookie dough on baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake for 9 to 13 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies) until they are still soft to the touch. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.