This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These delightful Christmas Eve Tea Sandwiches are both festive and scrumptious. Made with simplicity in mind, they truly capture the essence of the holiday season with their vibrant red, white, and green colors. Perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a grand buffet, a lavish feast, or a casual open house, these finger sandwiches are a festive addition!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Christmas Eve is often a busy day. Whether you open presents on Christmas Eve, attend midnight services, or simply gather with friends or family, food offerings should be simple to prepare, delicious, and festive.
These tea sandwiches are all of the above. Served on their side, the colors of Christmas are evident with bright green spinach leaves, brilliant red or roasted red peppers, and the white creamy slices of mozzarella.
Christmas Eve Tea
Christmas Eve shouldn’t be an exception if you partake in a daily tea. If teatime isn’t part of your regular activity, Christmas Eve is a perfect day for teatime.
Whether you’re serving at the traditional afternoon hours of teatime or are looking for ideas for a buffet later in the day, these simple-to-make tea sandwiches are a delightful addition.
Christmas Eve Tea Sandwiches Ingredients
Ingredient measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here are some notes on the ingredients I use:
- Baby spinach leaves: These are my favorite choice for this tea sandwich, but you can substitute spinach for your favorite green. Rocket or any other bright green would work just as well. Just be sure to rinse and dry before assembling the sandwiches.
- Mozzarella slices: I like to buy these presliced for convenience.
- Roasted red peppers: Nothing is better than roasted red bell peppers for a brilliant red color. While you can roast and skin your own, the jarred variety is very convenient. Be sure to blot them with a towel to remove excess moisture before assembling the tea sandwiches.
- Sandwich Bread: Use your favorite bread for these finger sandwiches. Italian bread holds its shape nicely, as does focaccia. But regular market bread works just as well.
- Softened butter to spread over the bread before assembling.
- Salt and pepper to taste for flavor.
How to Make Christmas Eve Tea Sandwiches
Step-by-step instructions are also in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
I like to freeze the slices of bread before making tea sandwiches for easy slicing, but this step is optional!
Step 1: Make the Finger Sandwiches
Onto four slices of bread, spread a thin layer of butter. Then layer spinach leaves followed by mozzarella slices, and finally roasted red pepper slices. Top the tea sandwiches with the remaining bread slices.
Step 2: Cutting the Sandwiches
Using a very sharp knife, remove the crusts from the sandwiches and slice them into three fingers.
Depending on the size of your bread, you can get as many as 3 fingers per sandwich. The size of the fingers is up to you, but generally, tea sandwiches are about 2 fingers in width.
Step 3: Displaying the Tea Sandwiches
Display the tea sandwiches on a serving tray on their side so the festive colors show!
More Posts You May Also Love
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Festive Christmas Eve Tea Sandwiches
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves rinsed and dried
- 9 ounces mozarella slices
- 9 ounces roasted red peppers jarred and sliced
- 8 slices bread of choice (Italian is nice or variegate the colors between white and wheat breads)
- softened butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- I like to freeze the slices of bread prior to making tea sandwiches for easy slicing, but this step is optional!
- Onto 4 slices of bread, spread a thin layer of butter. Then layer spinach leaves followed by mozzarella slices, and finally roasted red pepper slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and top the tea sandwiches with the remaining bread slices.
- Using a very sharp knife, remove the crusts from the sandwiches and slice into three fingers. Display the tea sandwiches on a serving tray on their side so the festive colors show!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.