Crisp oven-dried apple rings are an easy and nutritious on-the-go snack, especially when they’re freshly harvested in the fall.
You don’t have to have a dehydrator to dry apples. Drying apples is as easy as a parchment lined baking sheet, a low heat oven and not more than a couple of hours to spare.
The trick to crisp sweet apple rings is truly as simple as slicing the apples as thin as possible. A mandolin makes the prettiest slices, but a sharp knife will work just as well.The result is a bag filled with nutritious treats that are a perfect healthy snack. Add cinnamon or not — your choice.
The result is a bag filled with nutritious treats that are a perfect healthy snack. Add cinnamon, or not — your choice.
How to Make Oven-Dried Apple Rings
• Preheat oven to 225 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Slice apples as thinly as possible, about 1/8-inch. Using a mandolin makes step even easier and results in a pretty ring. You can core the apples or leave them whole. It takes a bit longer to dry in the oven if left whole — but I love seeing that star-shaped core so I usually slice them whole.
• Arrange slices in a single layer on baking sheets and sprinkle with cinnamon (optional).
• Bake for an hour and then flip each slice. Bake for about another 30 minutes – 1 hours — or until the rings are completely dry and crisp. Timing will be somewhat dependent on the thickness of your slice. Once these apples are cool, they will not continue to dry and crisp.
• Put apple rings on a cooling rack and allow to completely cool before packing. They will keep in an air-tight container for up to a week.