Making your own Homemade DIY Air Fresheners is easier than you think. With simple ingredients, essential oils, and easy instructions, you’ll be making these all year long!
It’s one of my favorite, easy projects. I love having a bottle of homemade air freshener in my closet, guest bathrooms, and linen closets. It literally brightens up our home.
A little like bringing the pleasures of the garden… inside. The world becomes a beautiful place when the fragrance of a summer rose drifts in the summer air. Or a whiff of lavender scent catches your attention.
Making these homemade DIY air fresheners is truly is like a gift to yourself.
For years I’ve simmered pots with water mixed with seasonal fruits, herbs, and spices on the stove. Each and every time we have guests arriving, or it’s the holidays, or I because it makes our home feel wonderful and cozy.
And while that is wonderful, it’s not always practical. These air fresheners bring the same pleasure with a quick spray and 3 simple ingredients.
What You Need
1. An 8-ounce spray bottle. (Note: I like to use an amber-colored glass spray bottle I get from Amazon although a plastic spray bottle will work as well).
2. Essentials oils of your preference. (Note: When I first began making this, I wasn’t sure which ones to get so I purchased a doTERRA Introduction Kit which included lavender, lemon, and peppermint essential oils. I still find myself using predominately these essential oils).
3. Rubbing alcohol (90%) — or vanilla extract
4. Distilled Water (for purity)
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 20 drops essential oil – this is approximate and according to how intense you want the aroma (15-25 drops is average)
- 1 cup distilled water
- In a 12-ounce spray bottle, combine the distilled alcohol and essential oil drops. Shake well to disperse the oil into the alcohol.
- Add the distilled water into the bottle and shake thoroughly; 1 to 2 minutes. If you have a funnel, it makes this job super simple.
- Let the air freshener rest for a couple of days before using it.
Essential oils have a strong scent. When using the air freshener, a little goes a long way.
DIY Air Fresheners Recipes
Homemade DIY Air Fresheners Recipes
1. CITRUS MINT AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
10 drops wild orange essential oil
8 drops peppermint essential oil
2. SWEET LAVENDER AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
10 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops chamomile essential oil
Use 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract in place of the 2 tablespoons of vodka.
3. SUMMER CITRUS AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
5 drops each of:
wild orange essential oil
lemon essential oil
lime essential oil
grapefruit essential oil
4. COZY HOLIDAY AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
6 drops wild orange essential oil
5 drops cassia essential oil
5 drops clove essential oil
5. FLOWER GARDEN AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
8 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops geranium essential oil
4 drops grapefruit essential oil
6. HAPPY HOMESTEAD AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
5 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
5 drops rosemary essential oil
7. DEODORIZING AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
4 drops melaleuca essential oil (aka tea tree oil)
8 drops lemon essential oil
6 drops eucalyptus essential oil
8. SPICY CHAI AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
4 drops cardamom essential oil
3 drops cassia essential oil
3 drops clove essential oil
2 drops ginger essential oil
9. WOODSY AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
7 drops white fir essential oil
6 drops cedarwood essential oil
5 drops frankincense essential oil
10. GET FOCUSED AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
10 drops peppermint essential oil
8 drops rosemary essential oil
Essential Oils at Amazon