One of my favorite DIYs is making homemade air freshener. For some reason, I’m incredibly allergic to commercial sprays and not at all a fan of the chemicals in them.
For years I’ve made simmering pots with seasonal fruits, herbs, and spices when either we have guests coming, it’s the holidays, or I just want my home to smell wonderful and cozy.
But lately, I’ve also become enamoured with homemade air fresheners using essential oils, alcohol, and water. It is the quickest and easiest DIY you’ll ever do. And when you slip into bed at night and smell that faint lavender scent — you’ll become a fan as well.
What You Need
1. An 8-ounce spray bottle. (Note: I like to use an amber-colored glass spray bottle I get from Amazon although a plastic spray bottle will work as well).
2. Essentials oils of your preference. (Note: When I first began making this, I wasn’t sure which ones to get so I purchased a doTERRA Introduction Kit which included lavender, lemon, and peppermint essential oils. I still find myself using predominately these essential oils).
3. Rubbing alcohol (90%) — or vanilla extract
4. Distilled Water (for purity)
Recipe: Lavender Linen Spray or Room Freshener
2 tablespoons distilled alcohol
1/2 teaspoon essential oil (lavender) – this is approximate and according to how intense you want the aroma (15-25 drops is average)
Directions: First, place the alcohol into the spray bottle, followed by the essential oil and finally, fill the spray bottle to the top with distilled water. (Using a funnel helps!). Shake well. It’s ready to use. Before each use, I always give it a good shake.
Martha Stewart has a 2-minute video showing this process.
Air Freshener Recipes
10 HOMEMADE AIR FRESHENER RECIPES by The Prairie Homestead
1. CITRUS MINT AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
10 drops wild orange essential oil
8 drops peppermint essential oil
2. SWEET LAVENDER AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
10 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops chamomile essential oil
Use 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract in place of the 2 tablespoons of vodka.
3. SUMMER CITRUS AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
5 drops wild orange essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
5 drops lime essential oil
5 drops grapefruit essential oil
4. COZY HOLIDAY AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
6 drops wild orange essential oil
5 drops cassia essential oil
5 drops clove essential oil
5. FLOWER GARDEN AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
8 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops geranium essential oil
4 drops grapefruit essential oil
6. HAPPY HOMESTEAD AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
5 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
5 drops rosemary essential oil
7. DEODORIZING AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
4 drops melaleuca essential oil (aka tea tree oil)
8 drops lemon essential oil
6 drops eucalyptus essential oil
8. SPICY CHAI AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
4 drops cardamom essential oil
3 drops cassia essential oil
3 drops clove essential oil
2 drops ginger essential oil
9. WOODSY AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
7 drops white fir essential oil
6 drops cedar wood essential oil
5 drops frankincense essential oil
10. GET FOCUSED AIR FRESHENER SPRAY
(Ideal for when you’re sitting at your desk and need to concentrate)
10 drops peppermint essential oil
8 drops rosemary essential oil