This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Apple Fritter Bread is a decadent treat packed with layers of sweet, cinnamon-spiced apples in a soft and moist quick bread. Drizzled with vanilla glaze, it’s reminiscent of a favorite donut-shop fritter. Perfect for morning coffee or tea.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Much like our always popular Maple Apple Banana Bread, this bread is made with fresh apples and plenty of warm, delicious spices. But this quick bread is made by layering apples into the bread and topping it with a delicious cinnamon streusel.
And for a final, decadent touch, a simple vanilla glaze is drizzled over the top.
It’s simply… wonderful.
If you love to bake quick bread, you may also enjoy these recipes:
Easy Apple Fritter Bread Recipe
I have a special tie to apple fritters.
In my mind, there are donut people… and fritter people.
My son is a fritter person. He might also be a donut person — I do believe you can be both. I’m smiling.
There was rarely a donut shop we visited where his first question to the proprietor wasn’t: “Do you have apple fritters?”
When I see apple fritters — I think of him.
Now almost grown… he’s a man in the making.
But in my heart — he is still my little guy. And apple fritters are woven into those “little guy” memories and days of old.
Love you, Brent.
What to Love About Apple Fritter Bread
- No deep-frying required.
- Decadently delicious — and so like the donut shop.
- Apples and sour cream keep the bread soft and moist.
- Packed with warm spices and sweet with a vanilla glaze.
Apple Fritter Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this Apple Fritter Bread. (Specific measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post).
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Apple Fritter Bread
Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8.5×4.5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Make the struesel
In a small bowl, whisk the brown sugar and cinnamon together; set aside.
Chop the apple
Peel, core, and chop the apple into small 1/4-inch pieces. Mix with the sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
Step 1: Cream the butter
Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla just until combined.
Step 2: Add the dry ingredients
Fold in the flour (and dry ingredients) into the butter mixture. Then stir in the milk and mix until smooth.
Step 3: Assemble the Fritter
Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly.
Spoon half of the spiced apples over the batter.
Carefully spread the remaining batter over the apple layer.
Top with remaining apples and press down slightly.
Sprinkle the streusel over the top.
Step 4: Bake and glaze when cool.
Bake the Apple Fritter Bread for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. During the last 10 minutes of baking, tent foil over the top to prevent over-browning.
Place the loaf pan on a rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before turning out to cool completely. When ready to glaze, whisk the ingredients together until smooth and drizzle over the top of the bread.
What Size Loaf Pan Should I Use?
I recommend using an 8×4-inch loaf pan for this Apple Fritter Bread recipe. A 9×5-inch loaf pan is a bit too large for the batter to fill properly.
How to Store the Apple Fritter Bread
Store the bread at room temperature, wrapped securely, or in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze for longer storage.
Tips for Making Apple Fritter Bread
Apples: Any apple variety you love works well in this recipe. My favorites are Golden Delicious, Fuji, Gala, or Honeycrisp.
Sour Cream: You can substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream if desired.
Baking: I like to loosely tent a sheet of foil over the top of the bread during the last 10 minutes of baking. Otherwise, the top can become browned before the center is baked through.
More Apple Recipes You May Also Enjoy
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (or as needed for consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8.5x4.5x2.5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make the Streusel: In a small mixing bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Peel and chop the apple into small pieces - about 1/4-inch. In a small bowl, toss with cinnamon and sugar; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until just combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined, then stir in the milk until smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread out evenly. Be sure to spread the batter into the corners of the loaf pan too.
- Add 1/2 of the apple filling to the top of the batter in the pan.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the apples, smoothing and spreading until the apples are covered.
- Top with remaining chopped apples and evenly sprinkle the streusel over the top.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the top is slightly domed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. During the last 10 minutes of baking, loosely tent a sheet of foil over the top to prevent over-browning. Cool in the loaf pan for at least 30 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.
- To Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth, adding additional milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Drizzle over the cooled bread before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 5g