This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
All the taco flavors and veggies you love in a delicious, easy to make Mexican Taco Tater Tot Casserole! And, it may be fewer calories that you’d imagine. Made with ground beef, black beans, cheese-topped tater tots and all your favorite Mexican fixings this is the perfect themed Tater Tot Casserole recipe to feed the family on busy weeknights.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
It began on a Tuesday. A night I’d promised tacos. Taco Tuesday. A dish we love, but rarely have on Tuesdays. But it had been a busy week, and I was up for something… different.
And for some strange reason, I’d been thinking about Tater Tots.
We rarely ever have Tater Tots. At least a year, perhaps even more. Which is strange in a house with teens and their friends.
You know how minds can ramble when considering, “What to serve for dinner.” I wondered if anyone would be terribly disappointed if Tuesday’s tacos became taco tater tot casserole?
If I served them with corn tortillas, they could stuff the casserole into the tortillas… and it would be like a taco, right?
So that Tuesday became Mexican Taco Tater Tot Casserole Tuesday. The result? No disappointments that night! And sadly, no leftovers either.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Just assemble it ready to bake and stash it in the fridge up to a day ahead. It won’t matter that the Tater Tots thaw in this time. The leftovers – without the fresh toppings – will reheat well too, if there even are any!
Sure! Turkey and pork would also work well, and while I’ve not tried it I think quoin mince would also make a pretty good vegetarian version. Do let me know if you give it a go!
You Might Also Enjoy
- Healthy Baked Zucchini Tots Recipe
- Skillet Mexican Lasagna Casserole Recipe with Ground Beef
- Best Easy Tamale Pie Recipe (Mexican Tamale Pie Casserole)
- Easy Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- Cornbread and Black Bean Chili Casserole
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Mexican Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef I use 7%
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4- oz can of diced green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 15- oz can black beans
- 2 tomatoes diced and divided
- 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 2.5 oz can sliced olives
- 2 cups Mexican shredded cheese divided
- 1 16 oz bag frozen tater tots
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sliced Scallions
- Sliced Olives
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Brown the ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet. Drain the fat.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, chili powder, and cumin. Add the chiles, corn, black beans, 1 chopped tomato, tomato sauce, salsa, and 1/2 of the canned olives. Cook until thickened, about 2 minutes or so.
- Transfer meat mixture to a 9x13 inch baking pan and smooth evenly. Spread 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese over the meat mixture and place tater tots in a single layer on top.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top casserole with remaining chopped tomato, remaining 1 cup shredded cheese, remaining sliced olives, and sliced scallions. Bake for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling.
- Serve with additional topping ideas suggested above.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.