These Black Plum Crumb Bars are perfect when the black plums begin showing up in the market. Juicy and delicious, it’s a simple recipe that enhances the plum’s irresistible flavor.
In a season of potlucks and cookouts, picnics, and barbecues, these crumb bars are the perfect dessert to bring. They’re tangy and buttery, sweet and crumbly.
Perfect for seconds and even thirds.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Plum Cake
Plums in Black Plum Crumb Bars
I love to use Black Plums in this crumb bar recipe. But while they are especially tasty, you can substitute other plum varieties, berries, cherries, or even peaches. There are so many ways to imagine this incredibly delicious crumble cookie.
How to Select Plums
When you’re shopping for plums, keep these tips in mind from Whole Foods:
If you want to purchase plums that are ripe and ready to eat, look for ones that yield to gentle pressure and that are slightly soft at their tip. Good quality plums will feature a rich color and may still have a slight whitish bloom, reflecting that they have not been overhandled. They should also be free of punctures, bruises or any signs of decay. Plums are generally available in the marketplace from May through the early fall.
Plums that are not yet ripe can be left at room temperature. As this fruit tends to mature quickly, check on them in the next day or two to ensure that they do not become overripe. Once they are ripe, plums can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. While plums can be frozen, to ensure maximum taste, remove their stone pits before placing them in the freezer.
- 1 cup butter, cold, cubed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- large egg
- 4-6 large Black Plums (or other plum variety), chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper with an overhang for easy removal.
- For the crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cut the cubed butter into the flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter; add the egg and mix together. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half of it into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Filling: In a separate bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Fold in the chopped plums. Sprinkle the plum mixture evenly over the bottom layer crust in the baking pan. Then crumble the remaining crust dough and spread over the plums.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is beginning to brown and the plumbs are bubbling. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Refrigerate to speed up the process!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g