This is a Plum Cake recipe you’ll want to make time and time again. I have… and do. Beginning in September and for as long as the fresh plums show up in my market.
For me, the arrival of plums signals the beginning of fall. The transition from hot summer days into the cozy, cooler days of autumn. Days of brilliantly colored leaves, nips in the air, and savory foods cooking in my kitchen.
A season I wait all year long for.
And yes… it often begins… and even ends… with a plum cake.
This simple to make, beautifully fresh plum cake is one to keep, share, and most definitely make.
More Cake Recipes
- Easy Strawberry Ricotta Cake Recipe
- Glazed Honey Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake: Simple and Delicious
- Sweet Tea Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2-3 plums, pitted and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch cake pan. A springform pan works great with this cake!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom.
- With an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar, beating until it is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla and sour cream to the bowl, mix on low speed until just combined. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared pan. Top with sliced plums and sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over the cake top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, run a sharp knife around the edges of the cake while it's still hot to loosen it from the pan. Let the cake cool completely on a rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar, slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g