This Strawberry Ricotta Cake is moist, fluffy, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. It’s an easy cake recipe with rustic Italian charm. Seriously, it will become your favorite weeknight dessert.
If there is such a thing, weeknight desserts.
Unless you happen to live in my house with my college-age son, home, and hungry every second. Then… there will be a weeknight dessert thing.
But this ricotta cake is incredibly delicious and easily made with either fresh or frozen berries. And yes — it’s equally yummy with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries — or anything else you can conceive.
What a Ricotta Cake Really Is
A ricotta cake is basically an Italian cheesecake. But much, much easier.
Ricotta is an Italian Whey cheese made from sheep, cow or a goat.
A ricotta cake is also called an Italian Cassata and is arguably the most famous sweet dessert of Sicily. While the recipes vary in both ingredients and complexity, this Strawberry Ricotta Cake recipe is incredibly simple featuring easy ingredients.
There’s nothing like a moist, fluffy, berry-streaked cake to make any weeknight (or, um, weekday morning) feel special.
What You Need to Make a Ricotta Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 9”-diameter cake pan with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, ricotta, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth; fold into dry ingredients just until blended. Then fold in butter, followed by ¾ cup chopped strawberries. Scrape batter into the prepared pan and scatter the remaining strawberries over the top.
- Bake cake until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–60 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before unmolding.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 394mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 10g