Strawberry Rhubarb Cake is one of my favorite seasonal cake recipes. While Strawberry Rhubarb Pie can never be replaced, this is a nice twist on a seasonal favorite.
Here’s what you need to know about rhubarb. It’s in season from April through June. The stalks are edible but the leaves are toxic. When buying rhubarb at the market, look for firm, blemish-free stalks. Store unwashed in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This cake is one of the reasons I freeze rhubarb and strawberries when they’re in season. It doesn’t matter the time of year — my family always seems to ask for this cake. It’s simple to make, yet delightfully delicious.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced in half or chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cubed rhubarb (I use 2 medium stalks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate or tart pan.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg and mix until combined. Remove bowl from the electric mixer and gently fold in the rhubarb.
- Transfer batter to buttered pie plate and spread evenly. Arrange halved strawberries on top of the cake and sprinkle with an additional 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 325 degrees and continue baking until the cake is golden brown and firm to the touch -- about 1 hour. Let cool and cut into wedges.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake: Simple and Delicious
- Rhubarb Cake – A Simple Recipe I Wait for All Year Long
- Strawberry Rhubarb Tart and Mini Galettes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Season’s Best: Rhubarb