Celebrate the holidays with a simple, easy gingerbread cake that is moist and delicious with molasses and ground spices of the season. A simple cake for a cozy holiday!
Sometimes it’s the simple things that people remember most. The cozy fireside chat, the fluffy, handknit socks made on a whim with crazy yarn, a story you’ve never heard before.
This Gingerbread Cake reminds me of those simple moments. While I’ll make the fancy and festive, all season long, I’ll never forget curling up on the sofa with husband and son, a fire in the fireplace and White Christmas playing on tv.
A simple moment and a simple holiday cake topped with freshly whipped cream.
However, the flavor of this easy cake is anything but simple. It’s robust with the lebkuchen type spices of ginger and cinnamon. Reminding you, in every bite, of the Christmas season.
More Gingerbread Recipes You May Like
If you like gingerbread as much as we do, you might also like these recipes too. The Gingerbread Cake recipe follows.
Gingerbread Cake Ingredients
This is a cake I make every year during the holidays. Baked in a square 9-inch pan, the ingredients are familiar and most likely already on hand. Perfect for Christmas week, or a night home by the fire.
Pantry Ingredients: sugar, vanilla, molasses, flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, and baking powder.
Spices: ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt.
Refrigerated Ingredients: butter, and a large egg.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg and vanilla; mix in the molasses.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture. Stir in the hot water and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan before cutting into squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.