Fluffy Pancake Recipe for a Thick Delicious Delicious Stack
This fluffy pancake recipe is one you’ll want to memorize. It’s simple, easy, quick… and utterly delicious! A perfect stack of thick pancakes for weekends or holidays.
Dressed up or down, they are perfect for weekends, or even special occasions and holidays.
With simple tips, you’ll find out how easy it is to make a weekend pancake tradition your own.
Rick’s Fluffy Pancakes
I cannot take full credit for these pancakes. Although I am a master at flipping them!
My husband, Rick, is the pancake maker in our house. And his pancakes are rather famous… in our extended family.
When he begins to heat the griddle, family members within driving distance find their way to the kitchen. Wherever that kitchen might be.
He’s just really, really good at it. They’re tall and fluffy and thick and delicious… every time.
This is his recipe and one I’d never planned or thought to share. It’s a list of simple pantry ingredients, with a few tips along the way, perfected over the years. But a recipe so yummy– I had to share it with fellow pancake lovers.
Rick’s Best Cooking Tips For Making This Fluffy Pancake Recipe
These are Rick’s best tips for making delicious pancakes at home.
- Watch the pancakes and adjust the heat.
- If the pancakes are browning too quickly, turn the heat down a bit.
- Are they sticking to the pan or griddle? Add more butter or oil, wiping out the skillet between batches helps reduce burn bits from sticking to the pancake.
- Flip the pancakes when the underside turns a golden brown and when bubbles begin to form on the batter side.
What is the Secret to Making Fluffy Pancakes?
These easy and simple tips will help produce the thickest fluffiest pancakes ever.
- Check the freshness of your baking powder. Expired or tired baking powder will result in flat, thin pancakes.
- Whisk dry ingredients before adding liquid to avoid overmixing and lumpy pancakes. A few small lumps are fine. Overmixing can lead to a stiff and sticky batter.
- Use a large nonstick skillet or griddle.
- Preheat the griddle over medium heat. Then, once it’s hot, lower the heat to low-medium. Let it cool down slightly before greasing the pan.
- Add butter, oil, or cooking spray to the skillet or griddle and wipe out the pan between batches.
- Pay attention to the pancakes.
2 Kinds of Fluffy Pancakes
In this post, I’m showing you a couple of ways to make thick, fluffy pancakes.
One is fancier and more dramatic… perfectly suited to special holidays and occasions, like Mother’s Day or Christmas morning.
The second method is perfect for casual gatherings and all weekends!
How to Make Tall and Thick Fluffy Pancakes
The recipe is the same, but the cooking method is slightly different. By using an egg ring, it’s easy to make these tall and delicious pancakes. This recipe will make 5 to 6 tall pancakes.
Place an egg ring on a prepared skillet or griddle. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the ring. Cook the pancake until the raw side begins to bubble and the edges of the batter begin to pull away from the ring.
Gently lift the ring from the pancake and flip to cook the other side.
Fluffy Pancake Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a list of the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe. The exact measurements are on the card at the bottom of this post.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Neutral oil (like vegetable oil)
- Large egg
Making Fluffy Pancakes FAQs
To have fluffy pancakes, you need a thicker batter. A thin batter will result in flat, thinner pancakes.
The longer the batter sits, the more dense and flat the pancakes will be. For the fluffiest pancakes, get the griddle or skillet ready, make the batter, and immediately begin making pancakes.
It’s all in the leavening. Thicker pancakes need either baking powder or baking soda to help them rise. Both will create the bubbles visible in the pancake batter resulting in thick, airy cakes. Most of the rise comes from baking powder, which is why we use this leavening in our pancake recipe.
Full-fat milk produces a better flavor in pancakes. But… use whichever milk you have on hand!
More Pancake Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Fluffy Pancake Recipe
This fluffy pancake recipe is one you'll want to memorize. It's simple, easy, quick... and utterly delicious! A perfect stack of thick pancakes for weekends or holidays.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, and egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the combined milk and egg mixture. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with oil, butter, or cooking spray, then wipe off any excess. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Reduce the heat slightly and add 1/4 cup measure of batter to the center of the skillet.
- When the edges begin to bubble, gently flip the pancakes and cook for another minute or so until it browns beautifully.
- If you're making pancakes with a fry ring, place the ring in the center of the skillet, carefully pour in 1/4 cup of batter and let cook until it begins to pull away from the sides and bubbles on top. This could take anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes. Gently pull up on the ring and remove it. Then carefully flip the pancake and let cook on the other side.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Filled the recipe, unfortunately these were the flatest pancakes I’ve ever made 🙂
Thank you for this recipe! I make these pancakes for the family every Sunday! It is now a tradition. The directions were also extremely easy to follow.
Hi Katherine! I’m so glad your family enjoys them. They are an every weekend treat for us too!
omg this is so good recipe, all my girls love it
Yay! It was, once again, our Saturday morning breakfast today too. Thanks for letting me know :)!
This is the best recipe for pancakes I have ever used. Delicious 😋
You made my day! I’m SO glad you enjoy them. They are definitely a treat in our house!!
Amazing recipe. I substituted the sugar for date granulated sugar. I added vanilla extract and cinnamon.
I’m so glad you liked it! Love adding cinnamon to waffle batter too. ❤️❤️
The best recipe for fluffy pancake. Thank you very much!
Thank you so much!! They are our favorite weekend treat.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Best recipe for fluffy, yummy pancakes! I used the egg ring.
I’m so glad you liked them! They are a favorite at our house for sure. The egg rings make them extra special.