This Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowl recipe is one of the easiest Mexican-inspired crockpot dinners you can make. Packed with delicious Southwest flavor, it requires zero prep, and is a one-pot dinner you’ll love.
This recipe was inspired by a sweet reader comment requesting slow cooker instructions for my Quick Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls recipe. I was happy to oblige! Which meant several dinner “testings” that made my family extremely happy.
While crockpot chicken and rice meals are perfect for weeknight dinners, this one is also especially suitable for game nights, tailgating, and Friday nights. Or maybe as an alternative to a traditional Taco Tuesday!
It’s a delicious dump recipe that requires absolutely no prep. Sounds good, right? I think so too.
Chicken and Rice Recipes
Chicken and rice recipes are a simple way to make wholesome and easy dinners, usually in one pot, with flavors that gently combine to create delicious comfort food. If you love that combination, you may also want to take a peak at my Instant Pot Greek Chicken and Rice or for a southern flair, the Chicken Bog or Chicken Perloo recipe.
Ingredients for Crockpot Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowls
This slow cooker chicken and rice recipe requires only a handful of ingredients with zero chopping and no prep. While the exact ingredients are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, here’s an overview of what you need to make this easy weeknight dinner:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Chicken broth (I prefer low sodium)
- Corn: canned or frozen
- Black Beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Long-grain brown rice (long grain white rice or instant rice does not work well in this recipe as it cooks too quickly).
- Seasonings: chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes
- Salsa (spicy or mild)
How to Make This Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Recipe
This is essentially a crockpot dump recipe with no prep or chopping required. I love recipes like this for weeknight dinners– or game days when the whole crew gathers.
Here’s how to make this simple crockpot chicken meal:
Step 1: Add ingredients to the slow cooker
Combine spices, chicken broth, corn, black beans, rice, tomatoes, and salsa in the slow cooker. Lay the chicken breasts over the top and turn to coat.
Step 2: Cook
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours.
Step 3: Shred the Chicken
When cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred them. Stir back into the crockpot and add the cheese over the top.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Burrito Bowls
I like to serve this Mexican inspired chicken and rice dish with any topping I love on a burrito or taco. It adds flavor and texture, and makes it even more delicious! Here are some ideas on how to top your burrito bowl:
- Fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley
- Red Onions or chopped green onions
- Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped tomatoes
Best Slow Cooker
A slow cooker is an easy and healthy way to cook. This model can be programmed to cook to a specific time or even a specific internal temperature before switching to a warm setting.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You May Also Love
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 1 to 1.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can corn kernels, drained (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- In the base of the slow cooker, combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken broth, corn, black beans, rice, tomatoes, and salsa. Lay the chicken breasts over the top and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- When cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred them. Stir back into the crockpot and add the cheese over the top.
- Let cook another 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs, avocado, chopped red onion, sour cream, or plain yogurt.
- Fresh herbs
- Chopped red onions
- Sour cream
- Plain yogurt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g