This Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls recipe is a 20-minute, one-pot dinner that is incredibly delicious. Mexican spices blend to cook tender, pull apart chicken with black beans, corn, and rice… in one irresistible bowl.
If you crave the comfort of bowl food, love Mexican flavors, this 20-minute dinner is for you. An incredibly simple weeknight meal or quick and easy weekend treat.
What I Love About These Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- No pre-cooking or sauteing ingredients.
- Frozen chicken thighs can easily be substituted for fresh chicken thighs.
- A super quick, super easy, one-pot dinner.
- Everyone can garnish their own bowls with favorites.
- A fun, flavorful, Mexican meal that’s ready in minutes!
With 10 minutes of prep and no browning of the chicken, this is one of the simplest dinners you can make in your Instant Pot.
These Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls literally come together in less than 10 minutes of prep. With 12 minutes of cooking time, they are ready to plate up and garnish in no time.
The chicken… is so incredibly tender and flavorful. And in one pot, dinner is served. In my family, they are always scrambling for seconds. I think I need a bigger Instant Pot!
Ingredients for Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken: boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Flavoring: salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, ground cumin, and garlic powder
- Vegetables: 1 can of corn kernels (or 1 cup of frozen), and 1 can of black beans
- Pantry: Long grain uncooked rice
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
Add the chicken thighs, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and chicken broth to a 6-qt Instant Pot insert. Gently toss to combine and then stir in the corn, drained black beans, and rice.
Drain the juices from the tomatoes, and without stirring, pour the tomatoes on top of the chicken and rice mixture. Do not stir!
Select the manual, high-pressure setting on the pressure cooker for 12 minutes. Once it has finished cooking, naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes before quickly releasing the remaining pressure.
Cancel the Instant Pot setting and fluff the rice with a fork. Sprinkle cheese over the rice and replace the lid. Let sit another couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.
Spoon into bowls and serve immediately.
How to Garnish Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
Whatever you love in your favorite burrito, add it here. Whatever you love on tacos, add to these easy burrito bowls.
Here are some ideas:
- Shredded cheese of choice (cheddar, Mexican blend, etc).
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- Greens of any kind like spinach, arugula, or even microgreens
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs * (see note)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 oz) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Add the chicken thighs, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and chicken broth to a 6-qt Instant Pot and gently toss to combine. And then stir in the corn, drained black beans, and rice
- Without stirring, add the tomatoes to the top of the ingredients. Do not stir!
- Select the manual high pressure and cook for 12 minutes. Once the pressure cooker has finished cooking, naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes and then quick-release remaining pressure according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and remove the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork and sprinkle cheese over the top. Replace the lid and let the cheese melt for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs, like parsley or cilantro if desired, and top with sour cream or plain yogurt.
Using Frozen Chicken Thighs:
If using frozen chicken thighs, increase the cooking time to 15 minutes and naturally release the pressure.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 28g
More Instant Pot Recipes
From soups to the main event, easy pasta, and family favorites. These Instant Pot recipes are on regular repeat at our house.