This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Apricot and Plum Cake is a deliciously moist, buttery, and tender Anytime Cake perfect for snacking, entertaining, or simply when craving a soft, warmly spiced cake with a buttery crumb and seasonal fruit. A simple one-bowl cake recipe that is utterly delicious in plum season!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
When the plums, apricots, and peaches come into season, at least in my neck of the woods, it signals that late summer is arriving with the anticipation of a fall season to come.
It’s my favorite time of the year!
Sunflowers are catching my eye as they are now blooming in gardens everywhere. Rich yellows and oranges and the beautiful hues of plums from reds and purples to deep blues and more.
What does this have to do with a Plum and Apricot Cake? Everything! Because there is very little more enjoyable than baking seasonally and celebrating all the varied flavors and textures ripening in the season. To me, baking is all about… a celebration of the season.
If you search “Anytime Cake” here on the blog, you will find a collection of recipes from an Almond Anytime Cake to a Plum Anytime Cake and a whole lot in between, like chocolate fudge, rhubarb, banana maple… and more.
What precisely is an “Anytime Cake?” It is a simple cake, similar to a snack cake, designed to be made for any season, occasion, or time when you’re yearning for cake.
The beauty lies in its simplicity, but don’t be fooled by that; this delightful cake is worth a try. Although it may be simple, it possesses an array of qualities that make it ideal for:
- Afternoon Tea
- When company comes for dinner
- Showers (bridal and baby)
- BBQ Barbecue
- When you’re craving cake and want it simple!
Apricot and Plum Cake Ingredients
Here is a quick list of the simple ingredients to make this cake. The specific ingredient measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder for leavening
- Butter (softened to room temperature)
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt for texture
- Eggs (at room temperature) for binding and texture
- Fruit: apricots and plums (or any fruit, berry, or stone fruit you have)
- Flavorings: vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom or cloves
- Milk for creaminess
How to Make Apricot and Plum Cake
Step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F and greasing a 9-inch springform pan (or 10-inch deep dish pie plate).
- Whisk (or sift) flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light. Then stir in the eggs, vanilla, sour cream, and milk in the bowl.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan and top with slices of plums and apricots. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Apricot and Plum Cake Tips
- A 9-inch springform pan is the easiest to use. Be sure to grease it well and line the bottom with a round of parchment.
- Press sliced fruit into the batter before baking. I like to press at varying depths to distribute the fruit inside the cake and on top.
- Top the cake with fresh fruit and sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is always good if you’re serving the cake warm!
More Dessert Recipes You May Also Love
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
Apricot and Plum Cake
- 9-inch Springform Pan or round cake pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom or pinch of cloves
- 1/2 cup butter (8 tablespoons) softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 apricots or any stone fruit like nectarines or peaches
- 2 plums sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch cake pan or 10-inch deep dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk (or sift) the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom together and set aside.
- With an electric or stand mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar, beating until it is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, sour cream, and milk to the bowl. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan. Top with sliced plums and apricots, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, run a sharp knife around the edges of the cake while it's still hot to loosen it from the pan. Let the cake slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar, slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.