This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A homemade dry rub recipe is the secret ingredient to amazing BBQ. Making your own couldn’t be easier. Especially when you start with 5 of the best dry rub recipes we could find.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email, and we’ll send it to your inbox. Plus, you’ll get delicious new recipes from us every Friday!
Every grill master knows a delicious barbecue begins with the right seasoning. Often, a spice blend they’ve perfected over time.
The secret ingredient to amazing BBQ — is a dry rub that’s so flavorful and delicious, it can go on everything.
If you love delicious BBQ and grilled food, take time this summer and make your own recipe. Your family and friends will be asking for the secret ingredient to your amazing BBQ recipes.
I’ll leave that up to you whether you share your recipe or not.
If you’re up for it and want to develop your own, here are a few delicious recipes to get you started on the path to making your own secret ingredient.
Best Dry Rub Recipes
Following is my go-to dry rub recipe I add to pork, chicken, and grilled vegetables. I’m always getting great emails about this dry rub and learning about how readers have tweaked it and made it their own.
Keep scrolling to read 4 more dry rub recipes that are top-rated, grill master favorites!
Easy Dry Rub Ingredients:
Measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Dry Mustard
- Ground Cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion Powder
- Brown Sugar
Storing Dry Rub Seasonings
I like to make dry rub recipes in bulk, so it’s ready at a “grilling” moment’s notice.
Storing the dry rub is best in a glass air-tight and lidded container. Mason jars work well in my kitchen, but Amazon has several great ones too.
It’s also handy to have a rub shaker for adding it to vegetables or over the top of chicken or pork.
Spice rubs will generally keep for months in a cool, dry place.
Favorite Juicy and Tender Rib Recipes
- Grilled and Tender Foil Wrapped Baby Back Ribs
- How to Make Smoked Pork Ribs in the Smoker
- Easy Instant Pot Ribs: Fall-Off-The-Bone Delicious
- Slow Cooker Ribs So Tender They Fall Off the Bone
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the spices and herbs in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the dry rub to an air-tight container. The rub can be stored in a cool, dry place for 6 months. When the weather is warm, I like to store it in the freezer in a ziptop freezer bag.
- To use, generously sprinkle meats and veggies before cooking.
Top Rated Grill Master Favorite Rub Recipes
While this is my go-to recipe for all things BBQ, here are 5 more highly rated recipes to try too.
Image Source: Traeger Grills.