Roasted Fall Vegetables with Maple, Thyme, and Apple, is an easy, simple, and incredibly delicious side dish to prepare for Thanksgiving, or fall dinners, all season.
As I pass our local farms and peruse my farmers’ market, I’m anticipating the cooler, brisk days ahead. It’s dishes like this one that occupies my imagination.
There is almost nothing more delicious than caramelized veggies. So incredibly easy to throw on a sheet pan, yet the results are so tasty. A beautiful accompaniment to any meal.
While this is simple enough to prepare anytime in the season, it’s extra good for the holidays to come.
I love the addition of the apples that lend a slightly sweet yet savory flavor to all of this roasted goodness.
Roasted Fall Vegetables
Below is my base recipe. But to be honest, I add to it any veggie hanging out in my fridge. I love halved Brussel Sprouts, butternut squash… well, the list is actually endless! Use your imagination, it won’t steer you wrong.
RELATED: Brussels Sprouts recipes >
Ingredients for Roasted Fall Vegetables
As I mentioned, you will find my basic combination for roasting fall vegetables and combining them into a side dish. Be creative and add seasonal veggies you find at the market or in your garden. Specific measurements and prepping can be found in the recipe card below.
- Purple potatoes
- Gold potatoes (like Yukon gold)
- Rainbow carrots
- Large shallots
- Garlic heads
- Olive oil
- Herbs and seasoning: maple syrup, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh thyme leaves and Italian parsley
What other ingredients can I add?
As mentioned before, below is my basic recipe I use, and then most of the time, I add additional fruits and vegetables to the mix. Here are some ideas you might also want to incorporate:
- Red onions
- Thinly sliced pumpkins or squash
How to make these Roasted Fall Vegetables
Again, the step-by-step recipe instructions are below, but here’s a quick overview of how easy it is to roast these vegetables.
On a sheet pan in a preheat 425° oven, spread the vegetables in an even layer. In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil and maple syrup and then drizzle over the veggie. Toss so that all are coated.
Roast until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
More Recipes You May Also Enjoy
SAVE THIS AND PIN IT FOR LATER!
Make sure you don’t lose track of this recipe by pinning it for later! If you are not already, you can follow me on Pinterest, as well as keep up with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. If you make this recipe, I would also love it if you’d tag me in your photos and leave a star rating below!
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 small purple potatoes, quartered
- 3 small gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 turnips, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 bunch rainbow carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 2 apples, cored and halved
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 1 garlic head, pointed end sliced off
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the parsnips, potatoes, turnips, carrots, shallots, apples, lemons, onions, and garlic head on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Combine olive oil and maple syrup in a small bowl and drizzle over the vegetables; be sure to coat everything well. If needed, add a bit more olive oil. Season generously with salt, pepper, and thyme; toss well.
- Roast until the fruits and vegetables are lightly brown and tender; about 30 to 40 minutes. Toss or stir occasionally as needed while baking.
- Transfer the vegetables and apples to a platter or a serving dish. Taste and season with flaky sea salt and additional fresh thyme and parsley. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 8gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g