There’s something special about Roasted Chicken Hindquarters with Garlic, Squash, and Tomatoes in the fall or winter. Perhaps it’s the brilliantly colored roasted squash and vegetables, or the cozy aroma of baking chicken.
I haven’t put my finger on the why yet. I just know it is. Special and delicious that is.
Yet while this roasted chicken recipe looks extra special, it’s really a budget-friendly (markets often price chicken hindquarters well), healthy, one pan, easy cleanup meal.
A simple toss with olive oil and spices, 40 minutes in the oven, and you have a beautiful, delicious company-worthy dinner. Or family worthy, as I like to think.
More Chicken Recipes
- 4 chicken hindquarters with leg and thigh
- head of garlic halved
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- medium zucchini, sliced in rounds
- 1/2 butternut squash, sliced (acorn or pumpkin works well too)
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon thyme. Add the onion, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and garlic to the bowl; toss to coat. Transfer to a roasting pan or sheet pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 pepper, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and paprika. Sprinkle the chicken with the paprika spices; arrange over the vegetables. Roast until a thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender, 35-40 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 654mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 30g