It’s the holiday baking season and these Cranberry White Chocolate Scones are top of my list! These buttery, mildly sweet confections are infused with fresh cranberries and rich, velvety white chocolate. Oh my! It’s Christmas in every, single, bite!
And are perfect for a Christmas Afternoon Tea. Or as gifts for your neighbors, favorite friends or associates.
Or — a wonderfully divine respite for yourself in the midst of a festive but sometimes harried season. Curl up with a favorite read, a fire… and a hot cup of… tea, coffee, cider… mocha? Happy sigh.
Here’s another thought! If you love cranberries as much as I do, you may have noticed the White House Cranberry Tree. If you’ve ever wondered how they make it… take a look!
The good news is, these scones are really easy to bake with just a handful of ingredients plus fresh cranberries!
Oh! For more scone recipes, keep reading to the bottom of this post.
Ingredients for White Chocolate Cranberry Scones
Simple ingredients… holiday flavor!
Pantry: all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt
Extra: fresh cranberries, white chocolate chips
Dairy: cream and one egg
How to Bake these Cranberry Scones
There are two ways I like to bake these scones. Both begin with forming an 8-inch disk and cutting into 12 wedges.
One side note: If you form your disk directly onto a sheet of parchment paper, it is extremely easy to transfer the unbaked scones to your baking sheet!
Once the disk is formed you can:
1. Bake in the Round
Score the disc into 12 wedges, brush white cream, and transfer to a baking sheet to bake in the round. You will need to increase the oven time to around 18 to 20 minutes. Just be sure the center is set and not doughy. Remove from the oven and let cool. Then, with a serrated knife, cut slowly along the scored lines and drizzle with glaze.
2. Bake in Wedges
Instead of scoring the disc, with a sharp, floured knife, cut all the way through and separate the scone wedges. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until nicely browned. The advantage is the crispy edges all the way around.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream (plus more for brushing)
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Fold the cranberries and white chocolate chips into the dry ingredients. Then make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, beat together the cream and the egg. Pour the cream and egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold together just to incorporate; do not overwork the dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times. Form an 8-inch circle and cut into 12 wedges. Brush scones with reserved cream and place, at least 1 inch apart, onto the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 14 to 16 minutes. Let cool completely before glazing.
Preparing the Scones: I like to turn my scone dough onto a sheet of parchment paper I sprinkle with flour. That way, I just transfer the parchment sheet to the baking sheet... and bake!
White Chocolate Glaze:
Because cranberries can be a little tart, I DO like to make a simple glaze to drizzle over the scones after they've cooled.
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
2 tablespoon cream
Microwave 1/2 cup white chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons cream for 30 seconds at 50% powder. Add additional 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 278mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g